PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bryan McDearman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bryan McDearman

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon May 15, 2000 2:07 pm

I posted this on another thread, but I felt it deserved its own thread. This guy is absolutely great at what he does! This guy is a performer, there are no two ways about it. I think he has the best hands on the team, but I might be mistaken. Dont get my wrong, I think The Comet is the best reciever on the team, but Bryan needs to be used more often. The kid can just play. I dont ever recall him making a bad or stupid play, whether in practice or in a game. He always has his head in the game.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Bryan McDearman

Postby D » Mon May 15, 2000 3:01 pm

Not quite sure why you insist on Bryan having his own thread. I think Bryan is a decent football player, but you're suggesting he should have an expanded role in the offense which would be at the expense of some talent both at wide receiver and RB.
The way you are describing him is in a role similar to Mick Rossley several years ago. Mick had an uncanny ability to get open, make plays and also had an incredible chemistry with Ramon. I don't see that chemistry between Bryan and the Qb's and I also think Mick is twice the receiver Bryan will ever be. Sure, a lot of that is because of the opportunities that aren't available to Bryan, but I don't think we should sacrifice our up-and-coming talent to get him more involved. I just don't see that much upside to him having a more active role. I think the young receivers have been reliable catching the ball (Damond was the only one that had problems last year) and they have the game breaking ability that Bryan doesn't have. As for being a smart player, I haven't seen an terrible mistakes by the youngsters on the field. I think Bryan can help in certain situations, but definitely wouldn't consider him the most unheralded current Mustang.
D
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon May 15, 2000 8:49 pm

I agree with what you said, I just feel that he is more valuable than most people realize. I also think that he will be used a good deal next fall. Maybe I am wrong. Time will tell.

------------------
"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure."- Knute Rockne
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Red+BlueDude » Wed May 17, 2000 10:59 am

I don't think anyone believes McDearman will take playing time away from Cardwell, Cunningham, Carter, etc. But it sure is nice to have such a reliable receiver who runs precise routes, doesn't drop the ball and gives the Ponies a legit chance to move the chains.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Return to Football