PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Phillips to start

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Phillips to start

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:54 am

a handful of snaps huh? Bishoff obviously has alot of friends showing up here. Some of you MIGHT have your hearts in the right place, but come on we are 0-8 and going nowhere this year. Bishoff should get an award at the end of the year for an exemplary career, a much deserved thanks and maybe some help to get into coaching if he wants to. But where the opportunities exist, Bennett has to get some guys some solid experience for next year. Frankly, to not see that is either biased or self-serving.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corby » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:06 pm

Stallion, do you really think by benching a leader and most importantly, a locker room model of success is what's best for the team? NO, it's a [deleted] poor excuse that falls right along with the rest of them that he's been making for two years now. And FloridaMustang, come over here and pick up my jock. That is what you did best while on the Hilltop, correct?
Corby
Recruit

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:10 pm

...and thing just got personal
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Corby » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:15 pm

I have the pleasure of knowing Brian and I also know the morale of the entire team right now. You get out there as a 5th year senior and bust your [deleted] for a coach that barks and barks about how his way is THE way and he's the baddest SOB to ever grace a football field and it takes you to 3-17 in two years, but all you hear is, "Wait until we get some better talent in here!" That is a coach, that's a recruiter and anyone that denies it is full of **** and needs to be beaten. But please don't confuse my friendship with Brian as partial. I feel that way for any senior or junior that has endured so much bull**** the past few years, that now as it is coming to end, you're supposed to put the largest front of all time on and prepare to win for an absolute lost cause. I'd rather end this post and this forum for the likes of Stallion and FloridaMustang because they are the know-alls of the program. So much is wrong within that program that I refuse to have any faith in it whatsoever.
Corby
Recruit

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:22 pm

loyalty has to go two ways folks. I didn't see much enthusiasm or leadership demonstrated on the field against Boise. Did you? That DOES NOT mean that I am saying that guys are loafing or not trying, they are trying. But leadership is something more.
Hoop Fan

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:28 pm

Corby,

I am sure Bischoff would rahter you not speak for him, even though you are taking up for him. Might want to watch what you say, alot of people read this board.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:39 pm

Corby, I won't openly deny what you say, because I don't have any interest in being beaten. But I will say this: Bennett's respect for Bischoff's ability and work ethic is not at issue here. Before the season, he said something along the lines of, "Brian is a guy who could have played on any team I have coached in my career--K. State, A&M, anywhere." Given the hand this team is dealt, this is indeed high praise. But when intensity is down, and morale is low, and you're 0-8, there is nothing to kick up team intensity like healthy competition, between players. Nothing motivates a player (especially one with the intestinal fortitude of Bischoff) like the possibility of being benched for a younger guy. If coach wanted too, he would have started every true freshman at the start of the year, and that would have been stupid. There's nothing wrong with a coach fostering competition, in fact, it's a necessary motivating tactic, given the situation we're in. I don't personally know Bischoff, but from what I know OF him, I think he is the type of guy to take responsibility for his relatively poor play (in one game), and come out and start kicking [deleted] in response to this. Players should not have fragile psyches, and those that do should not be playing football.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:46 pm

Uhhh, does Corby whip up on people from the board if he disagrees with them????
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby EdWiz » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:52 pm

woodsnwater, did you talk to Bischoff personally? I mean you act like we are representing him in a case or something. No, that is not it at all, We(McAndless, Corby,EdWiz) are simply stating our opinion of the situation. What is the junk about watch what we say, are we going to get in trouble, you gonna send us to detention or are we going to have to do mustang reminders. I am certain that who reads this board is not any concern of McAndless, Corby, or mine.
EdWiz

Postby woodsnwater » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:49 pm

ed,

relax. I was just stating that if I was a player, I would not want someone speaking for me or relaying about what they feel is the problem with the team. I believe Bischoff can speak for himself. It was in reference to the post about Coach Bennett.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:02 pm

OK I said- Bennett should do what he feels is best for the program- You asumed that means benching a player. Not so. But I agree I would have no hesitation starting a promising freshman over a senior if it meant that it was helpful in turning the program around whether this year, next year or in 2005. Sometimes it takes balls for a coach to bench a player maybe even as great as an All-American Candidate Senior like Mike Ford in 1980 but there can be no debate that for the good of the program, Ron Meyer, for example, was correct in starting Lance McIllhenny. Actually, Bennett has played more upperclassmen than MOST coaches would have done in this situation with a below average senior class and promising freshmen class. I'm surprised for example Massey didn't play in week 1. I'm surprised Muse and Alexander and Boren aren't playing right now. Redshirting is nice but when the talent level in the freshmen class is so much greater in the freshmen class than the senior class I wouldn't hesitate for a second. That's the way the Ballgame is played. The first thing that needs to be done is to turn the program around-when progress in that department is shown recruiting will definitely improve.

<small>[ 10-28-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gpony » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:27 pm

Originally posted by KnuckleStang:
I get the feeling Phillips will get more than a few snaps this Saturday. Bennett commented on how different his first practice this week was, compared to last week. I'm all for it, let's look to the future.

If we can end up landing a quality juco QB, maybe that means we can find another place on the field for Wallis. He's an excellent athlete, and a hell of a competitor.
gpony

Postby gpony » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:27 pm

Originally posted by gpony:
Originally posted by KnuckleStang:
[b] I get the feeling Phillips will get more than a few snaps this Saturday. Bennett commented on how different his first practice this week was, compared to last week. I'm all for it, let's look to the future.

If we can end up landing a quality juco QB, maybe that means we can find another place on the field for Wallis. He's an excellent athlete, and a hell of a competitor.
[/b]
gpony

Postby ponyte » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:54 pm

Originally posted by Corby:
You get out there as a 5th year senior and bust your [deleted] for a coach that barks and barks about how his way is THE way and he's the baddest SOB to ever grace a football field and it takes you to 3-17 in two years, but all you hear is, "Wait until we get some better talent in here!"
Did we hire Bear Bryant?
ponyte

Previous

Return to Football