PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

With NIU losing, TCU is now...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

With NIU losing, TCU is now...

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:15 pm

the non-BCS teams' best hope to break the BCS barrier. The problem is that even at 12-0, there is no way for TCU to crack the top 6 and be guaranteed a spot. Even if they were to finish in the top 8 (I don't think that's possible with strength of schedule working against them), they wouldn't be selected to participate. The painful truth is that there are 20 teams who will draw a better audience than the Frogs and that's what this thing is all about.

It would be nice to settle things on the field. Maybe TCU can play Texa$ (or Tech?) in a bowl to determine who the best team in Texas might be.

Maybe SMU could play Army to see who really is the worst team in I-A?

The following was taken from the DMN article:

TCU will need to be in the top 12 to be eligible for one of the lucrative BCS games and the top six to guarantee a bid. There has been pressure from schools outside the big six conferences to improve access to the BCS bowls – Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: With NIU losing, TCU is now...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:21 pm

I'm still praying for another 'miracle on Mockingbird' on November 29 when TCU comes to Dallas 'undefeated' and the Mustangs pull the 'ultimate upset' with an ?-? record!!!!! :w00t:

<small>[ 10-27-2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:22 pm

All good points, CP. I might add that instead of TCU complaining to the BCS, they might want to complain to whoever schedules their OOC games. Not sure how much it would have helped them, but with Vandy, Arizona, et. al., the whining rings a bit hollow. That said, they deserve credit for finding a way to win every week, no matter how underwhelming their methods. Says a lot about their team.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
The painful truth is that there are 20 teams who will draw a better audience than the Frogs and that's what this thing is all about.
Not exactly. There are 20 teams who outdraw the University of Miami, yet Miami will deservedly receive an important bowl invitation.

Difference is Miami is a great team, TCU is not.

And that is not meant as a slight to TCU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:40 pm

Leave the Frogs alone (sound like they are French doesn't it). Whatever they get, they have earned. Now as for a commode bowl game between Army and SMU, I'm in.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Frog81 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Just FYI about the schedule. Vandy is an old contract from before the 1998 season. Unfortunately it was hard to imagine where we'd be at the time. Arizona was supposed to be an upgrade for the schedule. They had just finished the season in the Top 5 when the contract was signed. Why they decided that someone who couldn't win at Texas could win in Arizona is beyond me. Plus we're paying the price for Fran still. He never wanted to have big teams on the schedule until the program was improved. Starting next year, our OOC games get alot better. The schedule sucks, but it wasn't done a right before the season, like the BCS media likes to make everyone believe.

Originally posted by KnuckleStang:
All good points, CP. I might add that instead of TCU complaining to the BCS, they might want to complain to whoever schedules their OOC games. Not sure how much it would have helped them, but with Vandy, Arizona, et. al., the whining rings a bit hollow. That said, they deserve credit for finding a way to win every week, no matter how underwhelming their methods. Says a lot about their team.
Frog81
Recruit

Return to Football