PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cowboy up, Ponies

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cowboy up, Ponies

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:45 pm

Anybody else think its ridiculous that the Red Sox fired Grady Little? The guy left his Cy Young player in too long in a big game huh? What a terrible coach! I often think KK gets his number called too much but he's been our Pedro Martinez so I can't fault Bennett too much. I'm as frustrated as anybody, but we need to get behind Bennett more than ever. Team morale is obviously low at the moment, and the coach has a responsibility for that, but that will turn around. Why am I so sure? Look at the way Bennett has recruited, not just the rankings. He is recruiting based on relationships with coaches and even amongst recruits. Is anybody telling me that they don't think there will be chemistry between the Hall brothers and the Chase bros from Irving and that those guys don't have the talent to be a strong core for future teams? Things are tough right now mainly because we lost heartbreaking games to Baylor, Nevada and Utep. Those were the kind of losses that change a season and kill a teams confidence. Our non conference schedule was also too difficult for our talent level with Ok State and Tech. Those teams play a style that can demoralize people, ask the Aggies. I don't love the play calling, but I think the reason we lost those close games we had is we were just a few playmakers short on the field. There are playmakers in the wings including Massey, Munlin, Phillips, the Xfer from Air Force at db, Pellerin, Muse and Avery Cleveland. Sturdivant is a smart kid and a competitor too who will get it done at safety. We are at a tough point right now, where the seniors are dejected and were a thin group to begin with. The tide will turn and it can happen at any time. I also think the upperclassmen will get a second wind down the stretch and play very hard. The bad news is I think Bennett has to make some changes to his staff, you can't have infighting on the sidelines.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cowboy up, Ponies

Postby KnuckleStang » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:57 pm

Good post. All the fire-Bennett talk is painfully shortsighted. Unless a coach embarrasses the university through his actions off the field, he deserves 5 years to turn a program around, his way.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby EP Pony Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:08 am

Yes, Grady Little got jobbed, but as long as the Yankees didn't win, and Steinbrenner goes on a firing/cutting spree, I'll continue to pay attention. A little.

With that said, you two both have great points. We do need to get behind Coach B more than ever. He will continue to recruit, and to recruit well. It's not because he has friends all over the HS coaching circuit, although that helps. It's because he and his coaches take the time to get to know players. You can wave all the big stadiums and NFL alums and biology departments you want at a kid, but 90 percent of the time, he's going to go where he likes the coach the best, where he thinks he'll be used the way he wants to and where he'll get playing time. Hello, SMU. Fear not, PonyFans, talented recruits will continue to find their way to the Hilltop.

And Knuckles, my only objection with your post is that the word "shortsighted" might not be strong enough. I don't believe Coach will need a full 5 years to get the Ponies back on track, but your estimate is generous and fair. Hats off to you for a much-needed reality check.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:01 am

No surprise that Little got fired except that it took them this long. You can't be directly responsible for a loss to the hated Yankees in Boston. He had to go. He had lost his credibility. The fans would never let him live it down. The Red Sox and Mustangs are entirely different situations. Apples and oranges.
Nacho

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:38 am

sports is sports. Everybody needs a scapegoat when things go wrong. The decision the guy made didn't turn out well, but it wasn't a bad decision. Lets say he pulls Pedro, after Pedro says he wants to stay in. If the bullpen then blows it, the fans would say you should have stayed with your ace. Popular opinion is based on hindsight and its often wrong and unfair.
Hoop Fan

Postby Invader133 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:02 pm

Hey Nacho .. I think MLB has a policy of no firings etc. once the playoffs start until the World Series is over, so as not to steal the thunder from the games, so they basically canned him the first business day they could (unless you were saying he should have been fired earlier in the season).
Invader133
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:54 pm

I don't think he would have gotten fired for pulling Pedro when he was obviously done but I could be wrong. Little and the Sox ownership have been at odds for a long time. He didn't do the right thing at the right time. It was a final straw kind of thing which is often the case when something ends. Pro baseball is cold-blooded. A lot of those teams have money to burn. Getting rid of Little is nothing to the Sox. They are trying to run an Oakland As kind of team on the field but they don't have the genius of Billy Bean to make all the right moves. In effect Little looks like he was fired for one bad move but it was much more than that.
Nacho

Return to Football