PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC, Sunbelt, etc. . . every one for themselves

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WAC, Sunbelt, etc. . . every one for themselves

Postby Water Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:49 pm

This article outlines how everyone must act for themselves. When the CUSA happens for us, we should take some pride and possible comfort that we have built Ford Stadium, found an excellent recruiter, aligned ourselves with a great regional conference model and essentially positioned us to grow with this pieces in place. Winning starts now, but big progress will still take years.

In any case, I am glad we won't have these issues which would challenge the foundation. We will have that at least.

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/index.asp?story_id=30679

:thumbupcool:

<small>[ 10-27-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Water Pony ]</small>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: WAC, Sunbelt, etc. . . every one for themselves

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:17 am

The changing of conference memberships is a bit like free agency in pro sports. Part of the appeal of college sports have been the long term rivalries developed in stable conference memberships. For instance, how long will it be before the folklore of the Big 12 becomes as legendary as the battles of the old SWC. It takes decades to do that. The BCS issue is affecting the very survival of some conferences. After this latest round of changes is finished, look for schools to go broke trying to stay in Div. 1-A, and begin to drop BIG time football. :no:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football