PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Up and coming C-USA teams

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Up and coming C-USA teams

Postby methodistmustang » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:37 pm

Tulsa
Tulane
Houston
Marshall
Southern Miss(now the largest Univ. in Mississippi)
Memphis

TCU is stupid to leave such a promising situation. They really do hate us that much. Well good riddens. Why don't they just move that ugly a** campus to Wyoming so they can be a true MWC school.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Re: Up and coming C-USA teams

Postby Corso » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:46 pm

The naysayers will scream at this, but I still believe it won't be too long before you have to add SMU to that list.

<small>[ 10-29-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Corso ]</small>
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby MizterTea » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:10 pm

Originally posted by methodistmustang:

They really do hate us that much.
You are assuming too much and giving us too much credit... the info on TCU going to the MWC is coming mostly from the MWC - and if they go, I can assure you that it is NOT based on the fact that we are in the same conference then them - they are thinking WAY BEYOND the level of a simple, one-sided rivalry school (hint: think $$$)
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby bluetiger » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:42 pm

Marshall, Southern Miss and TCU provide as much or more competition than anything in the MWC.

Question: For a few years now the champion of CUSA and the champion of the MWC play in the Liberty Bowl. Since that has happened, care to guess who has kicked whom's butt?

Houston is much better. They have a long way to go, but there's definate improvement. Kolb (their frosh QB) will be something to watch by his senior season.

Tulane is riddled with injuries on defense, but they usually put a competitive team on the field. Every few years they go nuts and have a REALLY good team, then they come back to reality.

ECU is a proud program that is in the first year of a desperately needed coaching change. I look for them to compete for the CUSA crown again.

Memphis is 5-3 with 4 games left to play. Since Tommy West took over as head FB coach, we have been building from the bottom up. I would say REbuilding, but that doesn't apply here. We are determined to have good football at Memphis.

Marshall and Southern Miss speak for themselves. I don't know about Tulsa. If TCU wants to leave then that's their mistake. CUSA will be a better football conference than the MWC.

From a Memphis fan to SMU fans: what do we have to look forward to in hoops? We lose our 2 most hated rivals to another conference. With the exception of Tulsa, what do the CUSA newcomers bring to the court? Not flaming, I just really don't know.
bluetiger

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:22 am

Rice and SMU are not world beaters in hoops, but have decent teams which occasionally can pull off an upset. This year's team is young, full of sophomores and juniors. By the time SMU joins CUSA, you'll have a team of mostly juniors and seniors. They should be pretty competitve enough by then to give the Tigers a good game.

As far as TCU moving to the MWC, I'll believe it when I see it. If they go, they'll be the long term losers. MWC is no closer to a BCS bid than CUSA. Its TV contract is about to be cut. The only draws are AFA and BYU. With CUSA having Army and Navy as partial members, they equal AFA for drawing power. UH should bring more fans to Ft. Worth than BYU. The rest of CUSA would certainly do better at Ft. Worth for the Frogs than UNLV, Wyoming, SDS, UNM and Utah. TCU would forfeit money to leave CUSA and pay money to join the MWC. But hey, its their nickel.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football