PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is Coach Cavan Staying

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why is Coach Cavan Staying

Postby ALL4SMU » Sat Nov 25, 2000 8:16 pm

Are we really that uncommitted to our football program here? We have gotten progressively worse since his arrival. The first year that he was the head Coach, we went 6-5. A win against an 0-10 TCU team would have given us a bowl trip. But we lost, and needless to say, we are not going to a bowl.
The following year, we roughly the same schedule we went 5-7. None of us were pleased with that record, but now that I think about it, I would love to have that team against this schedule. Those 7 loses came against Arkansas, Air Force, Ole Miss, BYU, RICE, Tulane, and someone else. ALl of those teams were very good with the exception of RIce. In fact, 5 of them were at one point or another in the top 25. If we had the players on that team playing are schedule this season, I think we would have gone 8-3.

Anyway, as the stories go, with a much easier schedule the next year, we go 4-6.

Finally, with the easiest schedule yet, we go 3-9. Highlights being getting crushed by Rice, TCU, and N.C. State. We are horrible. We don'e even look like a division 1 team. We are an embarrassment. Now, after all of this, Jim Copeland decides that we will give cavan one more year. To hell with that, get rid of him now. I will send a letter to Copeland on Monday. This makes me so mad. Are players deserve a coach that will put them in position to win.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Why is Coach Cavan Staying

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 26, 2000 6:07 pm

We just do not have a commitment to winning. It is sad, but true. Are players deserve better.
Joe

Return to Football