PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

will turner reverse the admissions committee

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

will turner reverse the admissions committee

Postby solomouse » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:53 am

lets just go ahead and move this up to a direct issue.other topics contain a lot of comments,but lets get it out in the open...does anyone think turner will actually listen to our suggestions,listen to the coaches,listen to our opponents in recruiting?if this athlete was the son of a methodist bishop would he have been treated this way..one day before coming to dallas....did orsini misquote turner,do we misquote orsini? how embarrasing is this for steve...does turner understand?
solomouse
Varsity

Re: will turner reverse the admissions committee

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:49 am

The only thing Turner will feel is the pressure from alumns to "Unseat" SMU's "Unbridled" campaign. He really is not a supporter of atletics, I believe he is actually jeolous of June's popularity as well as a number our our "acedemics". The only way Turner will move is to feel that his legacy is being threatened.

For those of us that have patiently allowed SMU athletics to slide sideways (and with the sole exception of football for one year--basketball, swimming, soccer, track, have all gone downwards under his tenor), it is time we pressure him to lead instead of hiding behind the various faculty committees.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I think we can all agree that this particular situation hasn't been handled very well. Mr. Hall (among others) finding out at this late date that he won't be admitted to SMU is inexcusable and is a remarkably poor way to handle high school kids when we're trying to rebuild the image of SMU.

All that being said, I think it's in our best interests to give SMU a chance to respond. This, and other similar sorts of situations, have arisen several times over the years, and it's unfortunate because:

"Admissions decisions are confidential under university policy," SMU athletic director Steve Orsini said in a statement.

That means, that even if there was a darn good reason why a kid wasn't admitted or why a certain student-athlete received disciplinary action, SMU is prohibited from saying anything about it. This situation is analogous to being put on trial but not being able to defend yourself. So whether there is or isn't a reason, SMU cannot comment on Mr. Hall's situation.

Rather than grilling Dr. Turner (who in my mind has always been a champion of improving all aspects of the university -- including athletics), I would like to hear from Steve O to know what he plans on doing going forward to make sure this never happens again, to help our coaches get kids qualified, to insure that our student-athletes get the resources they need to make the grades, to stay eligible and graduate, to absolutely ensure that student-athletes aren't surprised to learn they are ineligible because they were advised to take the wrong classes, etc. If we don't have the resources in place to ensure this happens, I would propose that it is his job to acquire those resources.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Mexmustang wrote:For those of us that have patiently allowed SMU athletics to slide sideways (and with the sole exception of football for one year--basketball, swimming, soccer, track, have all gone downwards under his tenor), it is time we pressure him to lead instead of hiding behind the various faculty committees.

Actually, letting coach Hyndman go and all the poor hires (excluding his winning of the June Jones lotto) I believe have been Orsini's doing.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Maybe Stallion was right all along and June Jones was mistaken

"Anyone who had followed June Jones, who knew how he built his program and what he thought of SMU's program should have known this was really a silly waste of time. Can we now get on with hiring a Head Coach...?" -- Stallion, December 25, 2007 11:38 pm
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Mexmustang wrote:The only thing Turner will feel is the pressure from alumns to "Unseat" SMU's "Unbridled" campaign. He really is not a supporter of atletics, I believe he is actually jeolous of June's popularity as well as a number our our "acedemics". The only way Turner will move is to feel that his legacy is being threatened.

For those of us that have patiently allowed SMU athletics to slide sideways (and with the sole exception of football for one year--basketball, swimming, soccer, track, have all gone downwards under his tenor), it is time we pressure him to lead instead of hiding behind the various faculty committees.

100% agree with your whole post.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby SMU2007 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Is there any real chance of Turner overturning the admissions decision? This seems like an enormous step backwards if we are going to go back to losing these guys bc we want to be too picky about 2 or 3 guys who are there to play football anyway.
SMU2007

Postby Samurai Stang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Might this thread be changed into a poll?
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Turner is mostly talk when it comes to athletics. He has been president for like 15 years and we are easily 10 years behind schedule. i believed or hoped that Turner was a real supporter of athletics for many years, but i've seen too much complacency and slow motion to believe that he has done all that he can do. He hasn't and definitely not fast enough. this is so like SMU to shoot itself in the foot with internal crap after creating a little positivity.
Hoop Fan

Postby solomouse » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:10 pm

turner has done a lot of good things at smu...there can be not doubt he is an improvement from pye...regardless,i dont think he understands what we are talking about... i think he believes athletic supporters are a bunch of rednecks...to be smiled at when they turn over a check,but not invited into your home to meet your family..he puts up with athletics...but i still appreciate the good he has done...he just does not get it...we are just too loud, and not part of the new world order...he and the president of tulane know what is best for us.of course,he can overturn the admission committee...there are all sorts of ways to cure this problem...he could even stand up and act promptly...othewise this reported full page ad may just become reality...
solomouse
Varsity

Postby Samurai Stang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:Turner is mostly talk when it comes to athletics. He has been president for like 15 years and we are easily 10 years behind schedule. i believed or hoped that Turner was a real supporter of athletics for many years, but i've seen too much complacency and slow motion to believe that he has done all that he can do. He hasn't and definitely not fast enough. this is so like SMU to shoot itself in the foot with internal crap after creating a little positivity.

I assume their thinking is that SMU is finally winning, and as such they can afford to tighten the admissions of the football program. After all, winners can be more selective. As SMU continues to win, it can continue to recruit more talented, intelligent athletes.

Yes, I realize that such a plan is beyond foolish. It, however, may be the conclusion which Turner has reached. Otherwise, it is simply another example that he is willing to claim that he supports athletics but will never actually do what is necessary to win. Either way, Turner is the problem.
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:30 pm

SMU2007 wrote:Is there any real chance of Turner overturning the admissions decision? This seems like an enormous step backwards if we are going to go back to losing these guys bc we want to be too picky about 2 or 3 guys who are there to play football anyway.

hell no and yes it is.
RGV Pony

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Wow.....i just got back from out country tonight and am just catching up with all of this......this really sucks as some of these kids have nowhere to go now at this late date....the last minute really kicks their asses.
I do know that we have some USC 'left coasters' on the acadamics/admissions side here at SMU that are not so much fun to deal with.
This sucks.
ponyscott

Postby HB Pony Dad » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 pm

ponyscott wrote:I do know that we have some USC 'left coasters' ... that are not so much fun to deal with.

I resemble that remark!
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 pm

HB Pony Dad wrote:
ponyscott wrote:I do know that we have some USC 'left coasters' ... that are not so much fun to deal with.

I resemble that remark!

Sorry bout that, but had to deal with SMU on an issue last year and had to call in some favors and was informed from long term Frat advisors about some very left wing folks that just happen to be from USC that are not very workable....have an agenda, etc.
I just hope that there is some chance that this can be reversed somehow, as it sure smells bad. It doesnt sound like it can be based on how it was all released.
ponyscott

Next

Return to Football