PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

will turner reverse the admissions committee

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: will turner reverse the admissions committee

Postby HB Pony Dad » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 pm

ponyscott wrote:
HB Pony Dad wrote:
ponyscott wrote:I do know that we have some USC 'left coasters' ... that are not so much fun to deal with.

I resemble that remark!

Sorry bout that, but had to deal with SMU on an issue last year and had to call in some favors and was informed from long term Frat advisors about some very left wing folks that just happen to be from USC that are not very workable....have an agenda, etc.
I just hope that there is some chance that this can be reversed somehow, as it sure smells bad. It doesnt sound like it can be based on how it was all released.

I was just yanking your chain. :lol:

However there is an odor about this admission fiasco that is foul!

Someone has some explaining to do to Ponyfans worldwide.

From my personal interaction, Dr. Turner was quite "charming" when he was involved in "academic" recruiting.

Apparently "academic" recruiting is closer to his heart than "athletic" recruiting.

He should realize by now that "athletics" get you National Attention as well as more $$$!
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Samurai Stang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 pm

HB Pony Dad wrote:
From my personal interaction, Dr. Turner was quite "charming" when he was involved in "academic" recruiting.

Apparently "academic" recruiting is closer to his heart than "athletic" recruiting.

He should realize by now that "athletics" get you National Attention as well as more $$$!

And that a successful football program increases the number of applications, which allows the university to be more selective in who it accepts.
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:11 am

Stallion wrote:Maybe Stallion was right all along and June Jones was mistaken

"Anyone who had followed June Jones, who knew how he built his program and what he thought of SMU's program should have known this was really a silly waste of time. Can we now get on with hiring a Head Coach...?" -- Stallion, December 25, 2007 11:38 pm

Maybe so. If you're right, I suppose I'll be eating a full serving of crow.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 am

Turner won't change grades unless there is clearly an academic reason to do so. Rarely do administrators undermine their faculty grading decisions unless there is a strong reason for doing so. Like it was a multiple choice test and the test was unfair in that it dealt with subject matter not covered in class or course materials at the time of the test or a clearly mis-marked test (the answer was "a" the student circled "a" and the prof counted it wrong).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Its not really a grade change issue since the kid apparently cleared the NCAA Clearinghouse. Its entirely in SMU's discretion to admit the kid. Nobody is saying it but I've heard that Turner bended the rules to admit a very important Division 1A transfer a few years ago.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Concur with Stallion.

In addition, in these apparently subjective admissions decisions, you can't tell me that the University doesn't take into consideration things like being a legacy, recommendations from faculty, prominent alumni (i.e. donor$), trustees, etc. into consideration when determining which kids get it and which don't.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Stallion wrote:Its not really a grade change issue since the kid apparently cleared the NCAA Clearinghouse. Its entirely in SMU's discretion to admit the kid. Nobody is saying it but I've heard that Turner bended the rules to admit a very important Division 1A transfer a few years ago.

Elizee?
RGV Pony

Postby McAndless » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

He said important. I was thinking more like a good RB currently trying to make an NFL roster
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm

I assumed it was the RB from Tech.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Samurai Stang » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:23 pm

EastStang wrote:Turner won't change grades unless there is clearly an academic reason to do so. Rarely do administrators undermine their faculty grading decisions unless there is a strong reason for doing so. Like it was a multiple choice test and the test was unfair in that it dealt with subject matter not covered in class or course materials at the time of the test or a clearly mis-marked test (the answer was "a" the student circled "a" and the prof counted it wrong).

This is about admissions, not grading. And I know of Turner having reversed admissions decisions before.
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby solomouse » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 am

i am told this matter has been addressed ....we will see later today
solomouse
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:33 am

McAndless wrote:He said important. I was thinking more like a good RB currently trying to make an NFL roster

the RB you mention was last year...I was going based on a few years ago.

Foy's another possibility I suppose
RGV Pony

Postby ponyte » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:01 am

Don't blame Turner, blame Pye. Once, the university president was allowed to make 20 admissions a year. 10 could be for athletics and 10 were for 'other.' For every athletic admission, there had to be an 'other' admission. This allowed the president to allow admissions for ballet dancers, rich alumni kids and so forth. After the DP and with the arrival of Pye, this policy was eliminated. Turner has less room to get admissions taken care of than pre Pye presidents. The next question s whether this Hall kid is worth a major throw down or does Turner save his big guns for a more robust athlete?
ponyte

Postby SMU89 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 am

solomouse wrote:i am told this matter has been addressed ....we will see later today

Solomouse = Chip Brown
SMU89

Postby Dutch » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:13 am

solomouse wrote:i am told this matter has been addressed ....we will see later today

heard the same thing.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football