PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brace yourselves

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Brace yourselves

Postby Arkpony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am

I wrote Turner. First time I've ever done that. This sickens me. We've been double-crossed.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smuuth » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:22 am

For those of us who are newer SMU fans and not as knowledgable as some of you insiders, what is it about our admissions process that can cause ncaa qualifiers to not be accepted? Surely the coaches/recruiting coordinator/high school liason know what SMU requires to be eligible? Facts not opinions please. Is there a lot of academic fraud that the SMU people are worried about or is it they don't want to admit kids and invest $50,000 anually toward their education only to see them play a year or two, not be able to do the academic work and then be ineligible and back on thestreet with no degree after having been used by the coaches to win a few extra games with the $50,000 investment down the drain.
smuuth
All-American

Postby davidpaul123 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 am

i want to send a letter. can someone repost turners email. thanks.
davidpaul123
Heisman

Postby NickSMU17 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 am

I think it may be time for some phone calls....can we get a telephone number....
NickSMU17

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:34 am

davidpaul123 wrote:i want to send a letter. can someone repost turners email. thanks.

crgt@smu.edu.

I sent an email this morning as well.
RGV Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:38 am

NickSMU17 wrote:I think it may be time for some phone calls....can we get a telephone number....

214-768-3300
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PonyDoh » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 am

You guys are hilarious. IF June were to leave b/c of this stuff, he'd be a wuss of the highest order. It may [deleted] him off to no end, but he should have done some due diligence. Doherty has been absolutely KILLED by this stuff over the past few years. Same w/every other coach since the DP.

You folks are acting like scorned school girls, when this stuff has been common knowledgee forever. Jones should have known what he was getting into, and not lean on handshake nonsense.
“When I first committed to SMU, I thought it would take a couple of years of building. But with these players coming in, we should make a run. We have a lot of heavy hitters. It could get real ugly for a lot of teams we play.”- Jalen Jones
PonyDoh
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 am

If we sit back and accept it like you suggest, we can expect to be right back where we started...

I have e-mailed and will call at lunch today...I can think of a lot better ways to spend 5k then watch us not try to get better....
NickSMU17

Postby PonyPride » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:44 am

The rumors are true: Darryl Jackson has been denied admission to SMU, despite qualifying in both GPA and his standardized test score. He said he has had no legal or off-the-field issues, and said no specific reason for the denial was given.

The 6-foot-7, 299-pound Jackson had other options for schools, including BCS schools like Oregon, Arizona State and Utah, who sought his services. When asked when he signed in late March why he chose SMU, despite suggestions from friends that he should go to a bigger school, Jackson said he simply "knew SMU is the school for me."

"That school is amazing," Jackson said. "The first thing that stood out to me was the facilities. I loved the coaches — (head) Coach (June) Jones is a character, and he obviously has a lot of character — I love that guy. (Offensive line) Coach (Adrian) Klemm is great, too. I want to play for him."

Jackson said at the time that he liked the way the SMU coaches treat their players on and off the field.

"I like how they joke around, but when practice comes around, they switch into serious mode," he said. "The academics are amazing. A lot of coaches talk to you about their schools, they lie a little, but these coaches want what's in your best interest. They're straight with you."

Jackson said that his denied admission was appealed, and that he holds no grudge toward the coaching staff. Jackson now finds himself scrambling to find another school (with the help of SMU coaches), but most Div. I-A schools have filled up their allotment of scholarships, and the deadline for joining a team at many junior colleges already has passed.

"No way," he said when asked if he harbors any resentment toward Jones and his staff. "They have been great — they have stood by me through this whole thing. They have done everything they can to get me in — they've been great. This was just an administration thing."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:47 am

PonyPride wrote:. This was just an administration thing."

Remember that when they ask us the second most calamitous thing to happen to SMU football
RGV Pony

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

can someone give an update on the proposed ad in the DMN calling out Turner? Who is behind this and how can I help??

Just left a message with Turner's secretary and sent an email last night. How many times can I get my hopes up about SMU athletics only to see them crumble. Talk about beating a dead horse.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 am

looks like we are back on the rice model--athletically that is.
Nacho

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 am

ponyinNC wrote:can someone give an update on the proposed ad in the DMN calling out Turner? Who is behind this and how can I help??

Just left a message with Turner's secretary and sent an email last night. How many times can I get my hopes up about SMU athletics only to see them crumble. Talk about beating a dead horse.

check your pm's
RGV Pony

Postby NickSMU17 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 am

Send me one as well...
NickSMU17

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

NickSMU17 wrote:Send me one as well...

done