PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We need linemen!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We need linemen!

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 26, 2000 4:04 pm

I've read where Danny Murphy, Judson Davis & C.B. Williams all suffered career ending injuries and will not return. Also read something that suggested Scott Kilpatrick may have quit football. Can anyone confirm any of this? Let's face it; if we are going to show any significant improvement next year, we are going to have to develop a competitive 2-deep OL & DL. Any chance any of these injured players returns? What about J.D.Blagg? Will he be able to rehab his knee and provide some depth on the DL next year? Anyone out there have any solid information? Graypony?? You still out there somewhere?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: We need linemen!

Postby THE ROCK » Sun Nov 26, 2000 4:12 pm

You are correct on all accounts. CB, Judson, and Danny all suffered career ending injuries. And yes, Scott Kilpatrick did quit football. Scott quit a while ago, I believe it was after the third practice. I think lineman is our biggest concern in recruiting. We must have had one of the worst offensive lines in the entire nation. Lets hope we can get some big boys up front.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby ponytalk » Sun Nov 26, 2000 4:47 pm

If I am correct, JD returned from his knee injury then broke his hand or finger or something like that.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Nov 26, 2000 4:52 pm

We seem to be the most injury prone team in the entire league. Is the training staff not doing their job correctly? I have never heard of a team suffering this many career ending injuries. Can anyone enlighten me on this? And what is up with Scott Kilpatrick quiting?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:50 am

I think it might have something to do with the poor strength our team has and the fact that we practice in pads when other teams are in helmets only, late in the season. Also, I notice we wear shoulder pads and not pants with pads yet the coaches make the team go 100%. That works in two ways, first, they are not protected and secondly, they might work differently with the thought that they are wearing shoulder pads and helmets.
I think we have just as many injuries as any other team, but we have such little depth that the injuries we have hurt us more.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Wed Nov 29, 2000 3:03 pm

Luter better step up big next year, and same with Sterling.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Wed Nov 29, 2000 4:45 pm

Luter could be crucial to the team next year. He's huge, and we can only assume he's more mobile than Sterling Harris.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:12 am

This is Scott Kilpatrick, and after checking out this site and reading the discussion about me, I felt that it would be good to enlighten yall on my reasons. My decision to quit football at SMU was a result of many things. Probably the most influencial was that I had mono and I didnt know it. I stupidly contracted it on July 4th, I remember it, and come to find out when I find out that I have mono she tells me that she has it too. But oh well, that was that. One of my reasons for quitting to the coaches was that I had lost the love and desire to play. This was true at the time because of my lack of any energy due to the effects of mono. I still have mono, it is still active as of, I think, November 28th. So, if I werent to have quit and I would have found out about the condition, I would have not be able to play this season anyway. But that is besides the point. I reconciled my decision to quit with the fact that I was more interested in recieving a top quality education in 4 or 5 years, than doing ok, and playing football for 4 or 5 years. I was not going pro. I do not have professional size and shape. Today, I have been weighing my options, and there is a possibility that I might transfer to Columbia and play football there. Above all, academics are my focus now, and will continue to be my focus through the course of my education. As for the offensive line. I feel that the players have as much talent and ability as any offensive lineman in college football. They really do have to tools to work with. I saw it with my own eyes. You might ask how I could make this assumption if I only practiced for a week and I have never been to any other school. Well, if that is the criteria then I cant, but I will say, when I was in high school I played against all american offensive guard Kelvin Banks of Aldine(I think U of H, and by the way, the most dominant super human species I have ever seen), Super Team and all american offensive tackle Bobby Meeks of Aldine Nimitz(Texas A&M), all american offenisive lineman Eric Heitmann of Katy(Stanford), and probably about 15 other Division 1 offensive lineman. I have seen their talent. Eric Heitmann has been a starter at Stanford since his true freshman year. If I were to compare our lineman to him I would say that their abilities are equal. Another thing I could say about the line at SMU is that they, individually, have more heart than I could have ever dreamed of. They are intense and they play for a true love of the game. If I were to complain about anything at the school, remember that I have limited knowledge(a few workouts in the summer and a week of practice in the fall), it would be that the strength program needs some work. They have the equipment to achieve this, but upon arrival I expected the team as a whole to be just a little bit stronger than they were. I still had a lot of work to do, but I expected a little more. It is not that they lacked the will, because they didnt, I think the blame lies in the program. Maybe one of the reasons is that they run a completely clean program here at SMU and that is very rare to find in a NCAA Div. 1 program. That is something that I was very excited about when coming here. I feel that in a few years, all doubts will be put away. The team here is young and they have some weapons. I watched Kelan Luker in high school at the state championship game and I have never witness someone as dominant at quarterback as he. With work, the lines on both sides will fall into place as dominant pretty soon. I think that there is talent at every position and it is just a matter of time for everything to fall into place. Also-Sterling is quick, and he is agile, just give him time, the dude has 3 more season here, a lot can happen in three seasons. And Luter is a very large human being, probably one of the largest I have seen. His size is probably comparable to prototypical college offensive lineman. Just to add conversation to their conversation.
Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:16 am

I apologize, I made a mistake. Bobby Meeks of Aldine Nimitz is playing for Florida St. not Texas A&M. I knew A&M wanted him but Florida St. got him, that is why I made the mistake.
Scott

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2000 9:05 am

Thanks, Scott, for the reply...and best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:47 am

Scott I am very sorry to hear about the reasons for you having to quit. Football is the most wonderful sport in the world and if you can get back into at Columbia and receive that education then go get em. However, I disagree with many of your outlooks on many of your points. That is my opinion however and greatly welcome yours. I hope things work out for you and remember, there is a lot you can learn from football that they don't teach in the classroom. And that education is very useful if you will open to it.

Long live the fat kids!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:29 pm

Stanglover I am beginning to think you are not who I think you are. Are you having Sunstang write your posts for you because I have never heard you talk like that.

I like it.. Long live the fat kids!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 2:34 pm

Sorry BHo78, the kid caught me in a sentimental moment. When I said I disagreed with some of his opinions I meant strongly disagreed but I did not want to get into this because he's a youngster and I don't want to get a bad rep on this board. And just in case you are still not sure who I am, peppermints don't make good keys.

Long live the fat kids!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:13 pm

That last statement eliminates any doubt I may have had stanglover.

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:43 pm

Oh I agree with yall. Football has taught me more than anyone could imagine. The people that are able to play football and those that are able to play football in college are the luckiest people in the world. It is an amazing sport, and it is funny eveyone complains while they are playing about the practices and how is sucks, but I cant think of one bad thing about high school football and even the things that people complain about dont seem so bad to me right now. But I agree, I learned an immeasurable amount of knowledge from my career playing football. Football has done so much for me, and for that I would like to get back into it. I wouldnt think about playing here at SMU though. I have had some conflict with a few coaches over the past couple months with some off the field problems that didnt concern me, but I guess they were confused and didnt know at the time it didnt concern me. I am not going to explain it further though. I have differences of opinion with the coaching staff right now, and that wont change. But thanks for your support and, yes, I do think I am going to transfer. And, also, yes, I might be wrong about one or two of the things that I said but then again maybe not, I think that it might be there. In time SMU will be a better football team. They have too much going for them right now (Stadium, facility, renewed student interest, etc...)
Scott

Next

Return to Football