PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rivals reporting another denied admission

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rivals reporting another denied admission

Postby NickSMU17 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Things are getting worse in a hurry...Please send an e-mail to Turner this week....
NickSMU17
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rivals reporting another denied admission

Postby Samurai Stang » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 pm

June Jones should leave behind SMU. This university does not desire victory, and certainly does not deserve it. Truthfully, SMU actively opposes athletic success.

This would indicate his statement in Shreveport that such incidents would not occur again was somewhat optimistic. Or perhaps it was simply another of Turner's lies.

Have the players not already moved in? Will this young man be evicted from his living quarters? Shameful.

And your emails are useless. They were ignored in relation to the first two denials, as demonstrated through the same action being taken again.
Far East Conference
Samurai Stang
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Samurai Stang wrote:June Jones should leave behind SMU. This university does not desire victory, and certainly does not deserve it. Truthfully, SMU actively opposes athletic success.

This would indicate his statement in Shreveport that such incidents would not occur again was somewhat optimistic. Or perhaps it was simply another of Turner's lies.

Have the players not already moved in? Will this young man be evicted from his living quarters? Shameful.

The most recent denied admission, in JJ's defense, happened prior to the Shreveport event.

The statement "...SMU actively opposes athletic success," to some degree, is true.
RGV Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:40 pm

If this is true then I suspect that JJ will leave after this season. If anyone has a connection to Gerald Ford or Carl Sewell then I would suggest they speak with them ASAP and see if 'those with $ and power' can/will try and get this situation fixed. It is hard to believe that the CofC would let this happen after pumping big $$$ into this program for the last two years.

GO PONIES!!!
MUSTANG MANIA LIVES :D
redpony

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:21 pm

If this is true, there must be something big going on here. More like departmental politics BS more than anything else & these families are getting burned. Outside of a coach, when did SMU last "fire" an employee? Do they do those things in colleges these days? Seriously! Because its now time to start the countdown if this is indeed true.

If three? How do this many fall "between the cracks" in the very last minute??? This is the height of unprofessionalism & just plain meaness. Instead of the coaches trying to find other colleges for these kids (at the last minute) perhaps the admissions cmte should be doing that this very weekend - today! Typical unproductive bureaucrat!

With the firestorm that erupted this past wk & now this, there's more to this than we may think?

In other words, where there's smoke, there's fire!
Last edited by NavyCrimson on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Some heads need to roll!!! :evil:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 am

Was there a third? Who was it?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 am

a Walkon
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 am

Samurai Stang wrote:June Jones should leave behind SMU. This university does not desire victory, and certainly does not deserve it. Truthfully, SMU actively opposes athletic success.

And your emails are useless. They were ignored in relation to the first two denials, as demonstrated through the same action being taken again.

Okay, Dr. Doom, we get it. You're saying the same thing over and over and over. Action speaks louder than words.
Bergermeister

Postby Dutch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 am

June Bug wrote:
redpony wrote:If this is true then I suspect that JJ will leave after this season.

Is_this_a_nightmare_or_what? Dr_Turner_needs_to_apologize_or_resign_Stop_the_bleeding_now

reading your posts is a nightmare. I have an extra keyboard that you can HAVE FOR FREE. please stop typing like that.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HB Pony Dad » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:58 am

Dutch wrote:
June Bug wrote:
redpony wrote:If this is true then I suspect that JJ will leave after this season.

Is_this_a_nightmare_or_what? Dr_Turner_needs_to_apologize_or_resign_Stop_the_bleeding_now

reading your posts is a nightmare. I have an extra keyboard that you can HAVE FOR FREE. please stop typing like that.

I underscore my spaces for my directories even using Windows or OS X due to unix_gnu-linux use.

However I never type messages like that.

JB could be using red, puke green, or magenta instead of underscores which might be worse!

Just throw him a POSTS_CENSORED aka...

Or mark JB as "Foe". :mrgreen:
SMU - IT'S YOUR TURN

FIRE JUNE JONES

USC Trojan for Life and SMU Dad!
HB Pony Dad
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:06 am

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, because I am.

But IMHO, denying admission to a walk-on is really a non-issue. I see this issue in a completely different light than denying admission to scholarship athletes who have completed the NCAA requisites.

First, from my own situation, I applied to SMU late, was accepted late, and was about 2 weeks into my first semester before I could attend class. So getting all the paperwork in and done is not a quick process, and if for whatever reason I had been denied admission, I would have found out in the 11th hour.

With a walk-on player, the school doesn't have any particular obligation to the kid. Random kid says "I want to come to SMU." Then says "I want to play football". And a coach says "O.K." If that kid doesn't meet academic or financial requirements, they can't come to SMU.

It's not like the situation with the scholarship athletes where the University has extended an offer to a student and had months and months to work with them, get them qualified, get them to retake entrance exams if necessary. And then deny them at the last minute.

This is a completely different issue. And a non-issue in my opinion. Had it not followed directly on the heels of the Jackson & Hall saga, I don't think anyone would've even taken the time to write about it. It's pretty silly that Rivals is even reporting it. I'm sure this happens every year at every school.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby NickSMU17 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 am

Unless the walk-on was a main reason one of the 2011 recruits committed....

I agree this one isn't nearly as big a deal in terms of player...but it is the principle involved that is [deleted] people off....

Everyone who says it isn't a big deal that we lost 3 non-top recruits are missing the fact that this is really frustrating to the coaches and these guys don't need the frustration...
NickSMU17

Postby Wuba » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

Didn't this get reported (or discussed on here anyway) 2 weeks ago, even before the Hall/Jackson stuff came to light?
Wuba
All-American

Postby Horseshoe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

I was told it was CB David Farris of Pearland. If true, that's a shame — I was told he was thought to have real potential.

Good luck, David, wherever you end up.
Horseshoe
All-American

Return to Football