PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 pm

ectofrog wrote:For having a degree that you guys all self-describe as "better" than mine, you sure seem to have trouble reading a basic list.

Actually, they read the list correctly. It is you who does not seem to understand the concept of a date.

You should have gone to a better school.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:30 pm

ponyboy wrote:Dear Frog,

That post was written November of 2003. We'll take the point, thank you.

Come back again soon.

Ha! The frog is an idiot.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:39 pm

No college football team benefited more than tcu as a result of SMU's ncaa imposed death penalty. It basically set the stage for tcwho? to have huge long-term success while the mustangs were put to pasture for 25 years. I've got news for any frogs out there...It's over mo fo.

SMU WILL DEFEAT TCU AT FORD STADIUM THIS SEASON AND WE WILL DOMINATE THEM. See you at the game.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Oldmins » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:No college football team benefited more than tcu as a result of SMU's ncaa imposed death penalty. It basically set the stage for tcwho? to have huge long-term success while the mustangs were put to pasture for 25 years. I've got news for any frogs out there...It's over mo fo.

SMU WILL DEFEAT TCU AT FORD STADIUM THIS SEASON AND WE WILL DOMINATE THEM. See you at the game.

The Death Penalty "set the stage for tcwho? to have huge long-term success.."??? Let's see, the Death Penalty was in 1987, wasn't it? In the next eight years after the Death Penalty, the Frogs had ONE winning season. Their real winning streak didn't start until 2000. Sure took a long time for that "setting the stage" to get going, didn't it?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

It set the stage in that SMU chose to be non-competitive after the death penalty. We had a winning streak of 20 years against TCU until we were hit with the death penalty. One could argue they filled the vacuum left by SMU's self destruction. It also took their folks making a decision to get competitive, something I hope our folks are doing now.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Oldmins wrote:
Glenn Sosbee wrote:No college football team benefited more than tcu as a result of SMU's ncaa imposed death penalty. It basically set the stage for tcwho? to have huge long-term success while the mustangs were put to pasture for 25 years. I've got news for any frogs out there...It's over mo fo.

The Death Penalty "set the stage for tcwho? to have huge long-term success.."??? Let's see, the Death Penalty was in 1987, wasn't it? In the next eight years after the Death Penalty, the Frogs had ONE winning season. Their real winning streak didn't start until 2000. Sure took a long time for that "setting the stage" to get going, didn't it?
The stage WAS set, it just took a little extra time for tcu to get going. Remember, we're talking about tcu here, roundly considered one of the worst programs in the country in that era. It's not like they were ready to step in and go 11-0 in 2 or 3 years.

As treadway 21 said, SMU chose to be non-competitive and tcu simply filled that vacuum. Even Rice would probably benefit and eventually thrive if, let's say the Houston Cougars decided they were no longer interested in magor college football and were going to mail it in the next 25 years. Sure, it may take 7 or 8 years, but the stage would be set. It's not even an arguable point, but at least you tried.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Mestengo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

When I see a dead frog in the road I always feel better. Especially the type that has been slow roasted for a while. Forgive me if I have offended anyone. 8)
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oldmins » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:
Oldmins wrote:

The stage WAS set, it just took a little extra time for tcu to get going. Remember, we're talking about tcu here, roundly considered one of the worst programs in the country in that era. It's not like they were ready to step in and go 11-0 in 2 or 3 years.

As treadway 21 said, SMU chose to be non-competitive and tcu simply filled that vacuum. Even Rice would probably benefit and eventually thrive if, let's say the Houston Cougars decided they were no longer interested in magor college football and were going to mail it in the next 25 years. Sure, it may take 7 or 8 years, but the stage would be set. It's not even an arguable point, but at least you tried.

Still wrong. It was when Centre College gave up Division I football back in the 1940's that the stage was finallly set for the Frogs. As you say, it took more than sixty years, but it's not really an arguable point, right? And when Toby's Business College folded it's football team in 1914, the stage was set for the Mustangs, so cheer up, success is coming (though it may take awhile!)
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Frog Barrister » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Um thanks I guess. Maybe when we get the death penalty you can dominate again.

SMU has practically no shot in this years game. Next year may very well be a different story.
Frog Barrister
Junior Varsity

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 am

Frog Barrister wrote:

SMU has practically no shot in this years game. Next year may very well be a different story.
Last year in Ft. Worth is when we had practically no shot. We went in there and gave you frogs a pretty good scare. We were laying alot of your guys out with some punishing hits and had you on the ropes for three quarters. I actually think tcu was bullied and intimidated for most of that game. If it werent for 2 or 3 ridiculous interceptions thrown by BLM (I think it was BLM), SMU very well could have (should have) won that game. It's in our back yard this time and SMU will prevail this time. I guarantee it. Put in THREE INCH HEADLINES...we will win the game.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby Frog Barrister » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:
Frog Barrister wrote:

Last year in Ft. Worth is when we had practically no shot. We went in there and gave you frogs a pretty good scare. We were laying alot of your guys out with some punishing hits and had you on the ropes for three quarters. I actually think tcu was bullied and intimidated for most of that game. If it werent for 2 or 3 ridiculous interceptions thrown by BLM (I think it was BLM), SMU very well could have (should have) won that game. It's in our back yard this time and SMU will prevail this time. I guarantee it. Put in THREE INCH HEADLINES...we will win the game.

The bullied and intimidated part I just don't see.

And if TCU didn't turn the ball over 3 times it would've been alot uglier. See, it works both ways.

SMU had 224 yards of offense -16 rushing 9 first downs and a 20% 3rd down rate. That doesn't make me think yall were that close to scoring more than 14 points.
Frog Barrister
Junior Varsity

Postby lwjr » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Frog lawyer,

What is the status of y'alls football stadium renovation project?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Oldmins » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm

lwjr wrote:Frog lawyer,

What is the status of y'alls football stadium renovation project?

Not sure, but watch for big announcement tomorrow, Monday. Word on the street is that TCU has now received commitments for $109 million, which means the west stands will be completely torn down the day after the 2010 season ends. Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip!
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby lwjr » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks. Spent many Saturdays in that stadium watching UT/TCU as a kid with my family, then SMU/TCU once I went to school and saw the light(Red & Blue light that is) I love the old stadiums, but it is time to update.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby NickSMU17 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 pm

who cares about TCU....end this discussion
NickSMU17

PreviousNext

Return to Football