PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:44 am

Exactly Stallion. Something has already changed to allow him to recruit juco players. He is now openly recruiting them. The juco WR Chase has already committed. He is openly going after a juco QB. Obviously in the past this was not the policy. The policy seems to have changed.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Johnny Rock » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:04 am

There is a difference in JUCO players who were not good enough to get a Division 1 offer and JUCO players who were good enough but did not qualify academically. Bennett wants the ones who were good enough but did not qualify academically, i.e., K-State. Most of our opponents in football and basketball whip our asses with JUCO's who did not qualify academically but are great players. Division II will be here before you know it.
Johnny Rock
 

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:18 am

Let's say we had three JUCO's join us this year. One OL, one DL, and one QB, how many more wins would we have had this year? Okay let go up to five JUCO's. One OL, One DL, one QB, one LB, one CB. How many more wins would we have? Now for each JUCO added subtract one freshman from this year's team. Who would you not have taken? I suspect with a serviceable QB and a good OL, we might have gotten two wins this year. If you add a DL/CB you might add another win. So 3-7 vs. 0-10. Big whup. Those five freshman will give us three to four good years and I would rather have the chance at a 9-3 season three years from now, but for the fact that we used up JUCO eligibility instead of getting three wins this year. Also, I don't think anyone thought Bartel would have a bad a start as he had. That being said, I hope we do add some JUCO's this year to fill in holes. I'd like to see a QB and some OL help in particular. BTW to the poster who said we need big DUMB offensive linemen, should rethink that. I remember some very talented offensive linemen during the Hayden Fry era that majored in engineering. In fact I'd rather have a big smart engineering major offensive lineman, because he might read the blitz.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10216
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:35 am

some of you guys are hilarious-the Bennett Bandwagon will be sitting in a ditch in 3 years if some immediate help doesn't arrive to show progress-which is exactly what happened to Mike Cavan nice recruiting start.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 33037
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2000 4:01 am
Location: Dallas,Texas,USA

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby couch 'em » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Stallion wrote:some of you guys are hilarious-the Bennett Bandwagon will be sitting in a ditch in 3 years if some immediate help doesn't arrive to show progress-which is exactly what happened to Mike Cavan nice recruiting start.


WRO...err...uhh...RIGHT.

Look, it's 7 years ago. Different coach, different AD, same president. Same problems.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
User avatar
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9025
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Farmers Branch

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Oldmins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:a quick glance at the TCU website shows they offer the following "athlete-friendly majors", several even talk about sports explicitly in the descriptions: Psychosocial Kinesiology, Movement Science, Nutritional Sciences, Physical Education, Social Work and Education. I don't think SMU even has a formal Education dept yet. This is laughable, no wonder they are cleaning our clocks.


Here's an insight into the real difference. At TCU, athletes are awakened about ten AM each morning by coeds bringing in hot chocolate, orange juice, bacon and eggs. After a quick massage, athletes head to the Rec center for a swim, and then by Admissions office where they sign off on a declaration that they were in class all day. Lunch, then a free afternoon when they can leave in their Ferraris for a movie, back for filets and lobster for dinner, then entertainment by a new cadre of coeds. Free time to use their complimentary iPads, beer and pizza about nine-thirty, then absolutely enforced bedtime by 11:30. At SMU, on instructions from President Turner, athletes are awakened by alarm clocks at six AM, up for calisthenics and oatmeal until eight, then classes in nuclear physics, Shakespearean english and advanced accounting until noon. Argula and rhubarb salad for lunch, then an hour or two of picking up garbage around the campus, a two hour nap time, classes in advanced anthropology and Chineese, Kraft dinner and bologna for evening meal, Bible study and devotionals until nine, required calls home to chat with family, and bedtime at nine-thirty. If the NCAA just knew about this, somebody's head would roll.
Oldmins
Varsity
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:07 am

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Corp » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Oldmins wrote:[

Here's an insight into the real difference. At TCU, athletes are awakened about ten AM each morning by coeds bringing in hot chocolate, orange juice, bacon and eggs. After a quick massage, athletes head to the Rec center for a swim, and then by Admissions office where they sign off on a declaration that they were in class all day. Lunch, then a free afternoon when they can leave in their Ferraris for a movie, back for filets and lobster for dinner, then entertainment by a new cadre of coeds. Free time to use their complimentary iPads, beer and pizza about nine-thirty, then absolutely enforced bedtime by 11:30. At SMU, on instructions from President Turner, athletes are awakened by alarm clocks at six AM, up for calisthenics and oatmeal until eight, then classes in nuclear physics, Shakespearean english and advanced accounting until noon. Argula and rhubarb salad for lunch, then an hour or two of picking up garbage around the campus, a two hour nap time, classes in advanced anthropology and Chineese, Kraft dinner and bologna for evening meal, Bible study and devotionals until nine, required calls home to chat with family, and bedtime at nine-thirty. If the NCAA just knew about this, somebody's head would roll.


Dementia is a serious malady...seek help!

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Corp
Varsity
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Corp wrote:The mind is a terrible thing to waste.


Spoken by someone who would know.
Image
User avatar
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 17360
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: 25 feet from the Hillcrest track

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby SMUnewbie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 am

Arugula salad, really? Hope this was the right choice
SMUnewbie
Recruit
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Cali

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby ectofrog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am

j_bowling wrote:Our last recruiting class was named the best in the nation for a non-BCS school by Rivals.com.


For having a degree that you guys all self-describe as "better" than mine, you sure seem to have trouble reading a basic list. Non-AQ schools for the 2010 class on Rivals:

#32 Utah
#40 BYU
#45 Houston
#46 TCU
#52 Fresno State
#53 Southern Miss
#56 UCF
#57 Memphis
#58 Colorado State
#65 Hawaii
#68 Toledo
#71 Marshall
#73 San Diego State
#74 Tulsa
#75 Temple
#76 SMU

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 10/all/all

Where on EARTH did you get the idea that Rivals called your last recruiting class the best in the nation for non-AQs? Did you just make it up? Is it all part of the groupthink around here that nobody has corrected this loony-tune?

Hey, Rich Daddy's Boys.....time to start living in reality!!!
ectofrog
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am

Dear Frog,

That post was written November of 2003. We'll take the point, thank you.

Come back again soon.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10079
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby Junior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 pm

couch 'em wrote:
Stallion wrote:some of you guys are hilarious-the Bennett Bandwagon will be sitting in a ditch in 3 years if some immediate help doesn't arrive to show progress-which is exactly what happened to Mike Cavan nice recruiting start.


WRO...err...uhh...RIGHT.

Look, it's 7 years ago. Different coach, different AD, same president. Same problems.


until the bottom of the first page, i thought this was a current thread. man, things don't change too much.
Derail the Frogs!
User avatar
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby ponyte » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 pm

ectofrog,
j_bowling's last post was Nov 14, 2003 (yes one day after the infamous post you cite). I doubt he will even see your post, much less respond to your query. I am sure checking a date isn’t a skill some consider important particularly if it might interfere with the latest imbecilic rant.

As to group think, perhaps we all had the delusion in 2003 of grandeur to come, but now we are a bit more realistic (though, as I am sure, you have noticed some on this thread were well aware of the coming problems).

I would ask that you recognize that a few of us are no long rich daddy's boys but the rich boys' daddies. Thank you.
User avatar
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Nw Orleans, LA region

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby ponytony » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:a quick glance at the TCU website shows they offer the following "athlete-friendly majors", several even talk about sports explicitly in the descriptions: Psychosocial Kinesiology, Movement Science, Nutritional Sciences, Physical Education, Social Work and Education. I don't think SMU even has a formal Education dept yet. This is laughable, no wonder they are cleaning our clocks.


Check out SMU's degree in Applied Physiology and Sport Management in the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development.

http://smu.edu/education/wellness/apsm/
ponytony
Recruit
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Re: you wanna know the difference,SMU-TCU? Here..

Postby ponyte » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 pm

ponytony wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:a quick glance at the TCU website shows they offer the following "athlete-friendly majors", several even talk about sports explicitly in the descriptions: Psychosocial Kinesiology, Movement Science, Nutritional Sciences, Physical Education, Social Work and Education. I don't think SMU even has a formal Education dept yet. This is laughable, no wonder they are cleaning our clocks.


Check out SMU's degree in Applied Physiology and Sport Management in the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development.

http://smu.edu/education/wellness/apsm/


Thanks.

Most of us are aware of the changes that have taken place over the last 7 years sincethis thread originally started but it is always refreshing to be reminded of the progress made.
User avatar
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Nw Orleans, LA region

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DanFreibergerForHeisman, LA_Mustang, PonyLove, ponypatrick, Rebel10, SMUstangs22 and 11 guests