PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What defense?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What defense?

Postby ponyte » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:28 pm

We have complained about our anemic offense all year but we havea sieve type defense as well.

We will make Rice look like a top 5 offense.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What defense?

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:30 pm

Since Bennett has made is career coaching defense, this is very hard to explain.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:30 pm

Yeah, but they use safties on their defense and we have chosen not to for some reason.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:53 pm

this coaching staff hasn't beaten an option team yet. Navy crushed us and now Rice has whipped us twice.
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:53 am

Actually CP, I thought we handled the run option part of Rice's offense pretty well...it was the passing part of their game that killed us.

<small>[ 11-16-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby sportchic » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:43 pm

The passing part of the option did some serious demage to the team. The players was prep to key on the run and pitch, not making ware that you can pass in the option too. That's exacly what Rice done to us. By the way.... do anyone know what happen to Cole Horton? I see him on the field on special team. I would think with his size and strength... he would get more playing time? :hmm:
sportchic
Recruit

Postby Uncle Morty » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:40 pm

Rice ran for more than 300 yards, and better than 5 ypc. You really think that means we handled it well? We completely sold out to stop the run, committed the safeties to stop the pitch and left the secondary wide freaking open. And they still ran for 300 yards. and they only needed to complete 6 passes to get 220 yards. Did we watch the same game?
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:09 pm

James did a very poor job containing the option on the outside. DD Lee was very inconsistant - aggressive at times and made solid plays behind the line, but also too passive and didn't attack the QB some of the time.
JasonB

Return to Football