PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Phillips reminds me alot

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Phillips reminds me alot

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:55 pm

of Freddie Benners. :)
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Re: Phillips reminds me alot

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:56 pm

I remember Benners, and that is high praise.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:00 pm

..I think Phillips is sort of a cross between Keith Bobo and Derek Canine with a splash of John Roach. :D
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:40 pm

Wow - a Derek Canine reference? Ugh.

I'll steer clear of the Flanigan comparisons, because he's such a different player. But it sure is nice to have another running threat and a passer who just might be able to utilize the talents of the WRs. Somehow I get the feeling that with Phillips running the show, players like Blake Warren and Reynaldo Pellerin and Jay'Mond Cleveland and Cedric Vinson and Trey Griffin and Mark Hodges and Ryan Kennedy (not to mention the Chase brothers, Jessie Henderson, etc) will become much better receivers, because he has the gun to get the ball to them just about anywhere, and because the defense will have to keep an eye on Phillips at all times, allowing the receivers to get some separation.

Remember yesterday when Phillips danced around in traffic on third-and-11 or so, then whipped a bullet that Cleveland dropped? I bet Cleveland figured there's no way the ball would reach him. But from where I sat, it looked like it hit him in the hands, with some zip on it. The receivers are going to be a lot more aware and ready with CP at quarterback.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:47 pm

How many times did Phillips run for a first down when we had third down? He's a weapon our offense has sorely needed for a while. And he doesn't even really know what he's doing yet. Wait til he gets a little experience under him.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:03 pm

I agree there were several plays that could have been big gainers where the WR and one time the TE didn't really antipate the arm this kid has. We've got a lot of work to do with our receiving corp-its not really fair to compare them but if you watched the UT-Tech game, two teams with perhaps the best recieving corps in the nation, I think you know what I mean. Until someone steps up I don't think we have one proven returning receiver that has shown he definitely is capable of playing at the level we need. This is a prime recruiting need.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football