PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

High School Mentality

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

High School Mentality

Postby SMU4u2000 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:57 am

Inflatable helmet...Children announcing plays...Goodie bags for players...WHAT has happened since Bennett's arrival? I won't say the team is performing at a high school level simply because at the very LEAST high school teams polish their plays no later than Thursday before the game on Friday. OUR coaches never get to the polishing stage because they just don't know what the heck they are doing. As late as Friday evening before the Rice game our guys were waiting for final plans. NO polishing ever done. And some of you wonder why the players seem confused and frustrated?
SMU4u2000
Recruit

Re: High School Mentality

Postby PonyTales » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:04 pm

Originally posted by SMU4u2000:
Inflatable helmet...Children announcing plays...Goodie bags for players....
Surely you don't think the coaches are sitting around coming up with those ideas, do you? That's like crediting the mayor of New York with the rise or fall on Wall Street -- sure, he's nearby, but it's completely unrelated. The marketing department has been working overtime to get people out to the games, hence the helmet, Kid's Day, etc.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby SMU4u2000 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:11 pm

You know, after reading your reply...I think SMU egomaniacs and Bennett deserve one another. Neither of YOU belong in D1 football.
SMU4u2000
Recruit

Postby XmustangXdeathX » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:17 pm

I don't know, but 8 year old girls over loud speakers REALLY creep me out.
Oh you gotta love it. The horns, the drums, the noise! It's all for the love of music, for the love of the game.
XmustangXdeathX
Scout Team

Postby Big Cat » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:03 pm

Could you be any more of a [deleted]?
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:12 pm

You really need to quote, BigCat... who are you calling a [deleted]?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Uncle Morty » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:27 pm

The little kid announcers were cute the first time. Maybe even the second time. But after that I didnt need to hear them anymore, and my lord does it ever make us look ridiculously bush league.
Uncle Morty
Scout Team

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:50 pm

um..I wonder if SMU played Longview High who would win??
Mustangs35SMU

Postby sportchic » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 pm

As you all remember... this week the marketing department was doing everything they could to posiibly fill up the stadium including letting the younger children in part of the actions. I don't see any thing wrong with the young children participating in this weekend game. This makes it more enjoyable for them and it's something they look forward too. Many of us come to the game with our family ( mom, dad, younger brother & sister, aunt &etc..)
As adults we want to watch the game, and for the children... you know they rather be doing something else than to sit still for 3 - 31/2 hrs.
By having young children to do some of the announcement and cheers on the side.... this makes it a little more appealing for those of us who have younger children. I know my children stopped & listen... so did the other children around me!! Isn't this true "The children are our future?" I applaud the marketing department for all they have done this year to think of ways to get more particpating out of the SMU fans. For ex... the carnivals, kids days , family weekend & so on.!! Don't stop till you get enough! We haven't got enough yet! :D
sportchic
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:05 am

Hey now, that was Ed Davidson's boy. Don't even start. He is a COOL kid.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Spaz » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:35 am

Originally posted by SMU4u2000:
OUR coaches never get to the polishing stage because they just don't know what the heck they are doing. As late as Friday evening before the Rice game our guys were waiting for final plans. NO polishing ever done. And some of you wonder why the players seem confused and frustrated?
Is this honestly what is going on? How do you know this?
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:42 pm

:wacko: gullible: easily cheated or tricked; credulous.
Bergermeister

Postby SMU4u2000 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:57 pm

QUOTE]Is this honestly what is going on? How do you know this? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Players...Starters.
SMU4u2000
Recruit

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:29 am

The kid announcing the game was a little much, and I could have done without it. 3 or 4 times would have done the trick. But it's really not that big of a deal, is it? As with a lot of other things, a winning product would help. It sucks to listen to a garbled kid's voice that you can't understand, when you're losing to Rice. If we're blowing Rice out, everybody's talking about what a brilliant marketing ploy it is, and how cool it is for the kids, and how cool a mascot Peruna is, and how majestic the inflatable helmet is. But, yeah, I got tired of it like everybody else. Although I did see some kids perk up everytime they heard it.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football