PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett's post-game comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bennett's post-game comments

Postby echothat1 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:03 am

I also have to say hats off to the Ticket announcers who interviewed Bennett after the game (sarcasm)...you would've thought we were in September and this was Bennett's first loss from types of questions asked...how 'bout adding the following Qs into the mix after the TCU obliteration...

1. Coach Bennett, now that you and this team have just managed to come up with the WORST season in SMU history, do you still feel you're the man to right this team?

2. What do you have to say to SMU ALUMNI who wasted their money on SMU season tickets this year?

3. Do you think you should give your salary back this year?

4. Are you planning to give any pop quizes in the shop class you teach next semester?

5. Does Tate Wallis have dirty pictures of you somewhere?

6. AND LAST, BUT NOT LEAST: Why should anyone give you the chance to coach next year?
echothat1
Scout Team

Re: Bennett's post-game comments

Postby PonyTales » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:51 am

Are you trying to turn away every recruit and loyal fan?
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby echothat1 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:51 pm

Uh...No...if I were trying to do that I might express myself someplace that potential recruits actually visit...it ain't here, bud...

My comments express COMPLETE FRUSTRATION and DISAPPROVAL on behalf of everyone I know who follows SMU football with the people that continue to allow this B*&% $H*T to keep happening, YEAR AFTER YEAR...

I WISH I could wash this stench off me that is SMU football (I'm not the only one I know who would choose another college if I could go way back and do it all over again)...but I can't...And goddammit, I'm mad...I want SMU to WIN!!! No one seems to care...if they did, we'd have had at least a winning season by now...

Some of you may be ok with complacency and rosy thoughts of 2008...FU...I'm not...I want to SMU to win...I (ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS THAT WEEKEND/WEEKOUT GO TO THESE DISGUSTING GAMES) have been waiting 13 years!!! And Bennett is NOT the answer...He is TERRIBLE and even ADMITS IT!!! You all that love him so much...he ADMITS half of the problem is coaching...SMU in this situation is NOT the school to just go in and start learning how to coach at...

You people that continue to walk around with ROSY ROSY glasses and talk about how great a tackle so and so made...FU...you are ALSO part of the problem...how 'bout putting a little pressure on the admin instead of coddling them on this board...
echothat1
Scout Team

Postby Dooby » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:29 pm

I just want to point out that we pay the Ticket for the privilege of broadcasting our football games. When Jimmy Christopher, Craig Swann and others are at the SMU games, they are on “SMU Time”. I invite you, at work tomorrow, to ask your boss why profits are down and if he really thinks he is the best guy to run the company.

I am not trying to be a smart@ss, but you have to understand the reality of the situation. They aren't going to trash this team or its coach, no matter how much you may want them to.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:35 pm

"I'm not the only one I know who would choose another college if I could go way back and do it all over again..."

You are obviously comfortable writing that you would have made a different college choice because SMU's 2003 football team is winless and the football program has mostly flopped since the DP.

Losing is painful and frustrating, but SMU like any college/university is much more than football.

Find a professional sports team and devote yourself to it. Professional teams are nothing more than their records and the excitement/marketing revenue/ticket sales/advertising dollars they might generate.

When your new professional team experiences a downward period (as all teams do), redirect your loyalty to a successful team.

Repeat this process as often as necessary.

Good luck to you.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:42 pm

Originally posted by echothat1:
...He is TERRIBLE and even ADMITS IT...
Interesting slant. He has admitted he and the coaches need to do a better job, like the players need to do a better job. He never has said he's "terrible" because he doesn't believe that, and because he's not. When things don't go well - in any profession - it's sometimes tough to stomach, and it takes some courage to point the fingers at yourself, in addition to pointing to those around you. Personally, I like the fact that our coach has the guts to take some heat himself, rather than to say "uh, gee, I coached a perfect game. Must be all the players' fault." He has a lot more credibility this way - by being honest. Has he done a perfect job? Not even close. But I bet the Bill Snyders of the world -- who not only endorse his ability but also back that up by employing him for years -- know a hell of a lot more about coaching than we do. There are too many people out there who know too much and think he's a good coach for us to give up on him. i just hope there will be seats back on the bandwagon when we're winning.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:27 pm

I've been waiting for 14 years for that to happen and I am beginning to believe I will not live long enough to ever see it.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:46 pm

Sure you will, unless you're planning to kick the bucket soon. Coach Bennett has talked a lot about how this season has been a test of character and dedication for his players, and that they've passed with flying colors because of their perserverance and hard work. Time for us as fans to take (and pass) the same test.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:19 pm

As fans, we have been taking the "test" for the last 14 years.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:28 pm

Originally posted by echothat1:
And goddammit, I'm mad...I want SMU to WIN!!!
You think you want SMU you win?!!? SMU has had one damn winning season in my whole freakin life! and god Im freakin tired of it! I have to put up with everything at school cause everyone that knows me knows Im obsessed with SMU and dream of going there one day! Everyday they're sayin SMU sucks man! And God Im tired of it! My b-day is in 2 days and I actually thought that SMU would win! Man that would have been the PERFECT! b-day present! And now my freakin high school team is out of the playoffs! Whoo what a great week this is gonna be!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football