PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The curse of Tate

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The curse of Tate

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:25 pm

Clearly, Tate is cursed. I'm sure he is a nice guy, but he must have angered some voodoo priest or something, because EVERY GAME since Tulsa has started with momentum with Phillips, until Tate steps foot on the field. Surely there is somebody else on the team that can hold kicks?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The curse of Tate

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:23 pm

Maybe one of the positions that they were giving away for Kids day should have been for holding kicks. It couldn't have been any worse.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby sportchic » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:31 pm

How do you think Tate Wallis, himself, feels? He is a very nice young man that is trying to his hardest to do the best @ the position in which he is in. Everyone seems to be up on him at the beginning, but when things turned bad... they turned on him. Would you be able to perform under the that kind of negative pressures? And if you think he needs an anger management class...who drove him there? Back off and leave Tate alone. :mad: In fact, alot of our players are depress due to their season record. I was at the game yesterday and I can see some of the players trying to get the FANS to show some support. As I looked around.... even though our stadium crowds was not overflowing... however, with the number fans at the game.... Majority of the fans just SAT there and DIDNOT show any support to our boys! :thumbdown: With that.... how do think the players should get their spirit pumped up without FANS support?!!!!
sportchic
Recruit

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:09 pm

Amen, sportchic! Have we sunk to ripping a guy for a bobbled snap - when, from my angle at least, both were poor snaps, anyway? How easy do you think it is to sit and watch, go in to the game cold and field a snap cleanly with 1,500 pounds (minimum) of defense trying to get through the line and rip your head off?

Nobody is more of a team player than Tate, from what I gather from people who know him. He played multiple positions in HS .... came here as a QB and got moved to TE without complaint .... got thrown in as a starter with only 2-a-days for experience at QB in the offense .... Endured the calls of fans who wanted Bartel to take the job .... has been blamed this year for everything from muffed kicks to the cost of concessions.

Give Tate a break. He's a good athlete and a great guy, I hear. We could use more guys like Tate.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby sportchic » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:41 pm

Pony4Life....I really don't know that much about football, but I have came along way due to my family interests in the game itself. Thank you, for stating your response. I thought this board was to provide an area for fans and family members to chat and get informations on the games, players & etc... To me .... it seem to be a place where our players are being ridiculed and put down. The players have access to this board too, and for them to read what is being said about their own team mates, coaches and even themselves. What kind of performance do anyone expect to see then?
sportchic
Recruit

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:59 pm

No one is questioning his character. As Couch 'em said and I concur, Tate is probably a good guy and he obviously does show a lot of character because anyone that goes out there and endures not only the physical but the mental punishment says a lot and I do commend him for it. However, it just seems that when he does come into a game, it's as though things do go south. It's just merely an observation. In addition, if my Kids day comment was construed as a slap, it wasn't intended to do so and I apologize for that. It was just merely stating that the way things have gone for the team this season, it couldn't have gotten any worse. I think that the reality is that this has been a season of frustration for not only the players but the fans as well. I can only hope that things go better and I know that others do as well.

<small>[ 11-16-2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex ]</small>
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:37 pm

Originally posted by sportchic:
Pony4Life....I really don't know that much about football, but I have came along way due to my family interests in the game itself. Thank you, for stating your response. I thought this board was to provide an area for fans and family members to chat and get informations on the games, players & etc... To me .... it seem to be a place where our players are being ridiculed and put down. The players have access to this board too, and for them to read what is being said about their own team mates, coaches and even themselves. What kind of performance do anyone expect to see then?
That's true - it can be tough to read these things. But the majority of the players are smart guys and they understand that the fans are frustrated because we want them to win. Every time they take the field, they take a little of us out there with them - they are representing OUR university. After all, we buy tickets to the games because we root for them, not just because they happen to be the only team in town. I think the players understand that if you fumble 10 times or drop 10 passes or something like that, people are going to be upset. They're tough young men and they have thick skin, which has to be paying off this year.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football