PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Other reactions from Rice game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Other reactions from Rice game

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:25 pm

I realize this might not follow the popular trend of this week's postgame posts, but:

* I really liked the way Chris Phillips played. He looks like a linebacker with speed when he tucks the ball. Granted, I think he needs to learn to slide or get out of bounds once in a while, but he's a legit running threat. And he is starting to show his passing ability, now that the coaches are calling plays for him. He was great.

* I can't believe nobody's mentioned Blake Warren's fantastic punt return, which was set up by a terrific defensive stand. For maybe half of the return, that was all him. He outran several of his blockers and ended up having to make people miss on his way to the end zone -- which he did. Great job! Here's to many more.

* The offensive line looked better in its pass protection. The running game didn't really get untracked, but Phillips wasn't running for his life the whole time. He made some plays because he has a quick release and because he has some escapability, but they did a good job keeping the pass rush at bay.

* Ryan Mentzel punted like we thought he could when he was signed. I don't know his final numbers, but he had at least 2 punts over 50 yards, and no real short ones. Great game for #41.

* Larry Edmondson called a much better game, allowing Chris Phillips to do more things, now that he's a little more comfortable back there. Nice to see Chris Cunningham's number called a few times, too.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Re: Other reactions from Rice game

Postby sportchic » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:48 pm

Positive responsed.... way to go! GREAT JOB for the PUNT return Blake Warren! :thumbupcool:
sportchic
Recruit

Re: Other reactions from Rice game

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:06 pm

- Phillips made the OL look better, they really didn't do that great of a job.

- Edmondson has been hamstrung all season. He finally has a guy who has the armstrength to throw outs and curls, and that is why we saw those called and completed. Don't blame some of the previous play calls on him.

- Desmond Jones I think deserves to be singled out on the defense for an outstanding effort. Great push up the middle.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football