PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It is official, McCown in going to transfer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It is official, McCown in going to transfer

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:01 pm

Here is the press release from smumustangs.com

Dallas, Texas -- Josh McCown, SMU's starting quarterback in nine games this season, is leaving the school and will transfer at the end of the fall semester.

"Josh has been a real team player," said SMU head coach Mike Cavan. "This is Josh's decision and we wish him the best wherever he ends up. I hope he has a great senior season."

The Jacksonville, Texas native started the first six games of his junior year before being replaced by sophomore David Page for three games. McCown regained the starting job for the final three games of the season.

McCown completed 169-of-331 passes this year for 1,969 yards and nine touchdowns. He was intercepted 16 times, the fifth highest single season total in SMU history.

McCown leaves the program ranked fifth in career passing attempts (664) and yardage (4,019) and sixth in completions (340). Page and sophomore Kelan Luker, who sat out the 2000 campaign as a redshirt, will battle for the starting job during spring practice.

Re: It is official, McCown in going to transfer

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:01 pm

I knew I could rely on PonyFans.com for my information.

This is a real shame. I've been in Dallas twice since Josh McCown started playing quarterback, and I thought he looked good each time.

Best of luck wherever he goes.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Fri Dec 01, 2000 12:58 pm

This is a crime. McCown is not the greatest quarterback in the world, but we all agree we have some talent. There seems to be a disturbing trend of yanking QB's in and out of the lineup that ALL of them get their confidence destroyed.

Who's the last QB who was productive his whole career? Mike Romo? That was almost a decade ago.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Dec 01, 2000 1:15 pm

Certainly not Ramon F. He was in school six years and never learned to read a defense. Great athlete, and fun to watch, but not a great QB by any means.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football