PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My meeting with the Associate AD...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My meeting with the Associate AD...

Postby JasonB » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:04 pm

His name is Chris Walker. Nice guy, and we talked about a lot of stuff concerning the Athletics Department. Met with him for about an hour and a half. I'll try to summerize some of the stuff that we talked about (some things he asked me not to put out here). But let me say this, the guy went to Florida State and seems to know his football:

- We talked for quite a while about the Mustang Club and how to get more people involved.

My response was that winning cures cancer, but that we also need to make sure people have realistic expectations. Encourage people to stay involved, but the Club needs to stand up before the Spring Game, after the spring game, and before fall scrimmages and say things like "Keep your eyes on this guy, that guy and that guy during the scrimmage. They are outstanding young players and will help us move forward to be a better team in the future. But despite what you see tonight, SMU is going to struggle next year as we continue to grow. In two years, SMU will be a decent football team, but this year we are going to suffer some more growing pains."

The point is that honesty is best. Too many people actually thought we would win the Tech game, which is just absurd. We have to quell unrealistic expectations, and make people understand that it is a gradual process of improvement. The enthusiasm is nice, but those people were so upset after the Tech game, that they don't show up the rest of the year and don't give more money to the program.

- He encouraged me, and I encourage everyone else here, to not only donate to the Mustang Club, but to also donate to the new football specific fund. This is very important. Refusing to donate to the program does absolutely nobody any good. The money invested will go directly to recruiting and something else...

- There is a committee looking into establishing a new degree friendly to athletics. A new degree would have to be financially supported by the athletic department, which is why it is important that we donate to the Club. Apparently, even Rice has a degree like that. More on this later.

- We talked about Recruiting. I mentioned that I believe that this is THE MOST IMPORTANT RECRUITING YEAR since the death penalty. He said Bennett would argue that every year is important, but that he agreed it is important in order to keep up the momentum. He talked about some of the recruits and transfers. I will talk about that in a bit.

- I specifically talked to him about JUCOS, and why they are necessary right now. He said that Coach Bennett doesn't want to use a lot of JUCOS, which I said I agree with, but that right now we have a lot of youth in certain positions and need to plug holes in order to improve. He said they agree. I think that JUCOs could be used at C and RT, especially C because having a young C is a disaster, especially on a young line. He agreed. He said that SMU would love to go and get more JUCOs to fill holes, BUT, the problem is that a lot of people go to JC and then take 48 hours of PE, or other relatively easy courses, and we can't get them in. There are some, but it takes a lot of scrutiny. He specifically said that THIS is why we need to get the new degree program established. It helps us with high school recruits, but it will really help us get some JUCOs in to be able to plug some holes.

- He talked about a JUCO WR who reportedly has committed to SMU, and that we are going after a JUCO QB as well, but he doesn't know if we will be able to get more in.

- Right now, we have 9 'ships taken, and plan on giving a total of 18. Here are the 9: The 6 verbals, Munlin, Akinyemi, and then this guy Pryor I hadn't heard about. Bennett is enthusiastic about getting quality players to fill the remaining 9.

Munlin has been oustanding in practice. He and Massey are the real deal. In the scrimmages this week, Massey and Munlin have looked good, and Munlin has been playing FB!!!! That was news to me.

Akinyemi (AF transfer CB) has also looked very good. He is very strong for his position and had a great stick on Massey in the games. It sounds like he could be a starter as well.

The third guy, 9th 'ship is someone I had not heard about. Pryor I think his name is? Anyway, he is a DE. Frosh walk-on, paid his own way this year. Turns out, he played bball in high school and was offered by some D-1 schools. He chose to walk on and try football. He is rough but VERY skilled. 6-4, 240 something like that, with a big frame to grow. Coaches really think in a couple of years he will be a VERY special player. In other words, don't pencil him in for next year or anything, but keep the name in the back of your mind. He is number 97 if you get to practice at all.

Look for us to go after WR, Secondary, and O-Line in the remaining recruiting class. I would guess two at each of those positions, and add a QB, DE, and DT/LB.

- As far as other players are concerned:

We talked about Chris Phillips and how outstanding he played in the Rice game. Coaches are very confident in his abilities, but are still bringing in a JUCO, which of course is the right move for experience and stability. People can rip on the OC for the conservative play calling, but watching Phillips sling it around and then watching Tate toss a rainbow on an out and have it picked shows what the OC had to deal with the last couple of years. And please, that is not a rip on Tate, he has given everything for the program and is incredibly loyal and everything. But he just isn't a D-1 QB.

The running backs are going to very, very good next year with Munlin and Massey.

We talked about concerns on the O-Line. DJ will be at LT next year. Period. Turner and Eidson battle at Center. Urbanus will be at RT. Pevento and Boren will push for the Guard starting spots, although Keishnick and Harris will be starters going into the spring. The thoughts are that it is young, which will be a problem, but a very talented group of players. O-line and receiver will probably be the weak points on offense (again).

The coaches think we are set at linebackers and very excited about the young players there. Muse is awesome. If we didn't have senior linebackers, he was ready to start this year from day 1. Avery Cleveland they think will be very good, but isn't quite as polished as Muse. Might be ready for next year though.

Unfortunately we didn't talk about the rest of the defense, but obviously our concerns are in the cornerbacks (youth) and defensive ends.

- I talked about the coaches. I personally believe that Bennett should be given a long runway given the players available when he came in. And that the coaches need to stay in place to provide stability. He said that Bennett is safe and everyone on the hilltop knows the hard work that needs to be done. He even mentioned that there aren't a lot of highly recruited players in the upper classes (he practically quoted Stallion and I with some of the comments), and that the Department knows that, and they realize it will take some time to build the program up. They also realize that it is important to keep up momentum with recruits AND alumni. They are going to do their best to give people realistic expectations and give Bennett the opportunity to succeed - by building a stadium and other facilities, hiring the coach, putting A-turf in, lowering standards, etc, they have already begun that process. By extending those goals with Athletics-Friendly majors and spending more on recruiting, they hope to help out even more. And we can all do our part to get that stuff done.

We talked quite a bit about basketball and soccer as well, but since this is the football board, I will cut my post shorter.

So basically:

1) Give money :) . For recruiting and the degree program. Chicken and egg - no money = hard to succeed, no success = no money. I give and will continue to give. P
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My meeting with the Associate AD...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:51 pm

Good report. Thanks! I'm ready to write my check to the Mustang Club right now!
MrMustang1965

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:07 pm

I see some big time football schools are offering a "sports management" degree. Not sure what that entails, but would be great to put something together that would prepare athletes for careers as coaches or athletic directors. Would be nice someday to have a former Mustang star come back to coach his alma mater. I'd like to see a coaching staff well represented by former Mustangs...people who could sell this school passionately when they go out to visit recruits. Wouldn't hurt to have a bunch of former Mustangs out coaching Texas H.S. programs, either.

And...it would be nice to see more than 5% of our alumni join the Mustang Club.
Charleston Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:31 pm

GREAT REPORT!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:25 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do that and report on it. Its frustrating to hear that even Rice has an athlete frindly major and we don't. They really had some huge and mobile guys on the line of scrimmage compared to ours too. I don't care what the rosters say, it was a big difference at several spots. And thats Rice. As for our prospects, C. Phillips has what it takes, its pretty obvious. I had wanted to see him on the field since the Baylor game. As for Dominic Pryor, the guy is one of the most impressive looking athletes we have on the sidelines. I've been noticing him all season thinking he could be a destroyer on special teams if nothing else. Muse and Cleveland are big, strong, legit looking D-1 football players. They can't do anything but help...alot. Munlin looks like a man, not a kid. He and Massey will add alot of pop to the offense and with Massey we will not lose any experience. But like you say the Oline is a huge concern. Frankly, I don't see any beasts waiting in the wings. Boren looks a little smaller than I hoped, cant comment on Peveto. All I can say is I have faith that Bennett knows a lineman when he sees one and will get some MORE good ones in here somehow.
Hoop Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:46 pm

JasonB, what a great report. STAY INVOLVED!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:02 pm

Thank you for the time and effort you put into delivering this report.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:10 am

Can we go ahead and make JasonB the PonyFans.com Poster of the Week? He deserves the Spirit Shop gift certificate for that - and more. Great job!
MustangFan
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:03 am

How many yrs of eligibility will Munlin have remaining?

<small>[ 11-20-2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: StangEsq ]</small>
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby PonyFan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:08 am

One, I think. After that, the ball belongs to Massey.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby SamGotti » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:44 am

Fantastic Report!!! The best post I've read all year! Great Job, JasonB!
SamGotti

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:44 am

So did he estimate what year the COMMITMENT at SMU actually begins? Do you think we'll get that new degree program by 2005? 2007? 2025? Let me be the first to step to the plate and say that this concept of we will have a full commitment at some unknown date in the future is a PIECE OF CRAP. Just like recruiting only a JC QB and neglecting other positions of immediate need is throwing a bone to the many naive posters on the board in the hopes that will continue to financially support a program that has its head up its [deleted]. They've had 15 years-quite frankly put up or shut up-if changes can't be made after a 0-12 fiasco they never will.

<small>[ 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PortlandPonys » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:56 am

Well put Stallion. Time is running out, and something must be done now, not 10 years from now.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:00 am

stallion...thinking about what u said re / 15 yrs...i know i'm dating myself but - & its hard to believe - in 3 yrs we have had two decades of losing! (unless something miraculous happens of course) ...

no wonder no one goes to the games...the younger generations only know one thing & that's 'losing'! no wonder!

that's like going all through the 60's & 70's doing nothing but losing yr after yr...& that just seems like yesterday!

YIPES!!!

EEEEEEEE-GADS!

hard to believe!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:05 am

JasonB,

Again, I just want to say how much I appreciate reading your stuff. You're always knowledgeable and insightful.

One point of clarification... Pryor is not what you'd call skilled. I think what you meant to say is that he's is a very special physical specimen, but a raw talent. I think he only played football a year or two in high school. Of course you'd never know that seeing the way that he blows by our current OTs with his speed on one play, then blows them backwards 5 yards on a bull rush the next.

Pryor is big (probably 6'5-ish) and fast with really long arms. When he adds some more strength and technique, he could be real scary.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football