PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Quarterbacks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Quarterbacks

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Nov 30, 2000 4:42 pm

It's unfortunate to hear of McCown's decision. I think the guy has a lot of talent and displayed a lot of class in the face of adversity. He also made some bad decisions, like throwing to miniature receiver who were double covered...

Anyway, I was going to post a message to the effect that what he needed some sort of mentor, maybe a quarterbacks coach with significant experience. Oh well...

So what's the scouting report on Luker? Page seems to have a lot of spirit, but lacks size and strength.

Also, did anyone else find it unsettling that Cavan was surprised at his #1 QB's departure? If I was head coach, I think I'd be more concerned with my players.

------------------
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Quarterbacks

Postby PonyTales » Thu Nov 30, 2000 5:59 pm

Great points, PerunaPunch.

It's a great big red flag that Cavan sounded so surprised. How can he not have more of a clue what his players are thinking? It also speaks to the lack of communication if there aren't assistants or other players warning Cavan that players are upset.

Note to Coach Cavan: There are more players who are upset. That doesn't mean they're all going to bail out of SMU, but it doesn't mean they won't. Focus on your most talented players and sit down with them to see where their heads are at. See if they're happy. Remember, we don't have the scholarships to replace too many top players. We have some talented players here, and we need to keep them here.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Quarterbacks

Postby FWMustang » Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:24 pm

Luker is strong. He has a great arm with a quick release. He throws the deep ball well; something McCown has never done. I look for him to be able to run through the route progressions better than Josh. He did at one point hold the national record for passing yards in one season, one of his favorite targets being Cody Cardwell.

I hope that he pans out.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Return to Football