PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to buy Mrs. Baird's Plant

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to buy Mrs. Baird's Plant

Postby PK » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:46 pm

Originally posted by Dooby:

BTW, the article says the tax value of the Plant is $7M. I bet SMU paid a lot more for it than that. What do you think the lot value of 6.6 acres in Highland Park is? [/QB]
FYI, the Mrs. Bairds Bakery tract is in Dallas, not HP. However, being immediately adjacent to HP does have some impact on the worth of the property.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Eddie P » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:52 pm

I doubt there was huge war for that site. It's not like there's a whole lot you can do with it. There was talk about developing it similar to Mockingbird Station a few years back, but that was before 9/11 and the depression.

Postby abezontar » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:58 pm

Eddie don't you listen to the media, it's a recession, not a depression..jeez.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Eddie P » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:08 pm

Sorry.

Postby leopold » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:37 pm

What about the old Ramada Inn on Hillcrest, west of the school? Anybody know if we are trying to acquire that -the building has already been halfway torn down. Frankly, that is where I thought the Meadows Museum should have gone, should it have been possible (The place it's in now is rather awkward.)

And I would think the Ms. Baird's property might be a good place for student housing - move some students over there, tear down those tenement buildings we call student apts., and put all brand new spring sports facilities up - baseball, tennis, track and field, whatever.

<small>[ 11-21-2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: leopold ]</small>
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:27 pm

I thought I saw somewhere that someone had already made plans for that lot. I can't remember what it was but I remember someone was coming down the boulevard before one of the games handing out flyers and I think they were touting some project they had planned for that lot. It could be a hotel or something, I am not sure. They took a look at me and thought I was too ghetto to have an interest so they didn't bother to give me a flyer.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:12 pm

Has any fresh information about SMU's future plans (student housing, athletics facilities, research park, possible presidential library, etc.) for the Mrs. Baird's property been made public?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Dooby » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:20 pm

I wouldn't expect anything for a long, long time. SMU has been "not so quietly" buying up everything around the campus and holding onto it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:09 pm

No wonder we can't afford a track team, and why would we need a competition-worthy track where the Bairds Bakery is?

Do remember them bringing in still warm Baird's Bread with the butter during finals when I was in Morrison Hall. Opened my dorm window many times to let that smell in, and knew what was cookin when I passed nearby downtown in Fort Worth on 30 during my days there.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:29 pm

One thing to add.....
If can make one sick to run 40's and getting out of breath and having to inhale FRESH BREAD SMELL.
I loved the smell before 1982
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Tshoot » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:02 am

EastStang wrote:In the meantime we can use the building for the bakery science department so that we can admit some academically limited football players.
I think we should have only 3.8 or better GPA football players ever. Then we can go 0-48 the next 4 years and have a great reason to whine, cry and [deleted] even more. In fact lets suit up the debate team! Outstanding!!! :cry:
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:12 pm

abezontar wrote:Eddie don't you listen to the media, it's a recession, not a depression..jeez.

Eddie P. must be laid off.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Eddie P » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:05 pm

I'm afraid I have not been laid off. Sorry to dissapoint. 8)
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:16 pm

Is the Ramada Inn on Hillcrest out of business now? That place was trash. I wonder if SMU is going after that property.. and what about that gas station adjacent to it? What kind of acreage is that, and what could it be used for? Student housing would be unfeasable.. with that amount of pedestrian traffic, they'd need to build a bridge over hillcrest.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby Dooby » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:21 pm

UNFMustang06 wrote:Is the Ramada Inn on Hillcrest out of business now? That place was trash. I wonder if SMU is going after that property.. and what about that gas station adjacent to it? What kind of acreage is that, and what could it be used for? Student housing would be unfeasable.. with that amount of pedestrian traffic, they'd need to build a bridge over hillcrest.

The hotel is gone and has been gutted down to the concrete infrastructure. The plan was to simply remodel it as a hotel, but according to the signage, it should have opened by now. There is some work being done now, but I don't know what they are doing to it. I don't know who owns it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football