PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ok adopted frog, try this...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ok adopted frog, try this...

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:53 am

so you think that comparing bands is pathetic on our part?

ok, let's compare on other topics that DO count, IMO only:

football: only a fool would dispute that your program is in much better shape than ours at this point in the long history of both. advantage: TCU.

overall athletic program: though as a rabid college football fan i would take a great football program over a great overall program, i nevertheless think the edge here: SMU.

academics: a topic perhaps not appropriate for a sports forum, but a topic near and dear to this particular fan, hands down advantage, historically and currently: SMU.

campus beauty: hmmmm, let's see, beautiful, collegiate campus (us) vs. state mental institution-looking (inspiring?) assortment of buildings (you), advantage: SMU.

student body: based on anecdotal evidence only (my walking on campus regularly and down the boulevard on game day and observing the frightening souls from frogland shown on ESPN on thursday and the game vs. louisville), clear advantage: SMU (this is admittedly not one of the topics that DOES count, but i thought i'd throw it in for good measure, rivalry and all).
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Re: ok adopted frog, try this...

Postby GallopingGuy » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:38 pm

I think the only reason he said comparing bands is pathetic is because it's a comparison TCU can't win. :) Because obviously, if it's an area TCU is better than SMU, it matters, but if it's an area where SMU blows TCU out of the water, it doesn't. So I don't think he'll care much about all the reasons you gave, either. ;)
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby Adopted Frog » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:57 pm

No, actually I think its pathetic because this is supposed to be a football forum. Talk up the positive aspects of your team, express support for a Pony victory, talk a little smack about the upcoming game, whatever. It is not the "Your band uniforms are ugly" forum. Thats childish and petty.

Whether or not the "band compeition" is one TCU would win or not is a moot point because you are not comparing apples to apples. TCU and SMU have differing philosphies of their music programs. The TCU band is entirely supported by the music dep't and receives no funding from athletics. The powers-that-be in the music dep't set the direction for the band. You might not appreciate what they do, but they are damn good at it.

As for the other points, the last academic rankins I saw rated SMU 2-3 spots above TCU. Not exactly "hands down". And if you'd been to the campus lately you might be suprised at the diverse and architecturally beautiful buildings. As to who has the "prettiest people", thats not worth a rebuttal - shallow.

Your attitude is why my handle is Adopted Frog and not Adopted 'Stang. When I moved to Dallas 20 years ago I was excited about finding a big-time college team to support. I went to several SMU games initially. I was so turned off by the pseudo-superior attitude of people like you that I checked out TCU. I've been a fb & bb season ticket holder ever since.
Adopted Frog

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:18 pm

Up yes this is a football forum but at football games almost all of them our band is there! So why cant we talk about the Best Dressed Band in the Land?!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:44 pm

forgive this froggy sucka - of COURSE he doesn't think that the band is related to the football program... at tcu, the band isn't

they are off playing for high school kids, while their football coach leads the alma mater (sans music) after a BIG win in Houston

But little froggy foo', see at SMU - the Mustang Band is ABSOLUTELY tied to the football team - its existance is as a spirit group for SMU ATHLETICS (men & woman's bball and football)

I'll bet a third of the people on this board were in the band - or have ties to the band - since it is the PREMIRE spirit organization

DCI is for high school kids - this is college - and we're suppose to have fun!
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Adopted Frog:
No, actually I think its pathetic because this is supposed to be a football forum. Talk up the positive aspects of your team, express support for a Pony victory, talk a little smack about the upcoming game, whatever. It is not the "Your band uniforms are ugly" forum. Thats childish and petty.

Whether or not the "band compeition" is one TCU would win or not is a moot point because you are not comparing apples to apples. TCU and SMU have differing philosphies of their music programs. The TCU band is entirely supported by the music dep't and receives no funding from athletics. The powers-that-be in the music dep't set the direction for the band. You might not appreciate what they do, but they are damn good at it.

As for the other points, the last academic rankins I saw rated SMU 2-3 spots above TCU. Not exactly "hands down". And if you'd been to the campus lately you might be suprised at the diverse and architecturally beautiful buildings. As to who has the "prettiest people", thats not worth a rebuttal - shallow.

Your attitude is why my handle is Adopted Frog and not Adopted 'Stang. When I moved to Dallas 20 years ago I was excited about finding a big-time college team to support. I went to several SMU games initially. I was so turned off by the pseudo-superior attitude of people like you that I checked out TCU. I've been a fb & bb season ticket holder ever since.
I guess you haven't been paying attention the past couple of years as to how your fellow so-called frog fans have been acting since they've tasted a little of success after years of [deleted] poor play. Check out some of the attitudes and you'll see that's the pot calling the kettle black.
Of course, we could beat it into the ground about the positives of the football team and how we hope for a pony's victory, but there are 5 million other threads for that, so why make it 5 million and 1? Can we say boring? :sleeping:
It's obvious that you have such a sour puss attitude about things. If you want a rivalry, then yeah, why not talk about all things that make up the football atmosphere? I thought the point of a rivalry was to talk smack. Apparently, I missed the memo that said some things were off limits. And before you start saying that we haven't made it much of a rivalry the past few years, just think about all those years where TCU couldn't even carry Peruna's droppings and they were getting waxed by SMU.
No offense, but you obviously have some issues. Either that or you have something stuck so far up your posterior that you can't lighten up and take it for what it is, fun. If you don't like it then you can just take yourself back to killerhornytoad.com and continue to post about X's and Os and the positives about your football team and coach Patterson and what could have been this season while listening to Celine Dion's greatest hits.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Spaz » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:00 pm

Originally posted by MizterTea:
I'll bet a third of the people on this board were in the band - or have ties to the band - since it is the PREMIRE spirit organization
Actually, it's because we're nerds and spend too much time on the computer......

And Adopted Frog? Peruna Ate My Rolex is right. If you think we have a superior attitude, that's BEYOND pot calling the kettle black. Froggies have the stupidest attitude ever. They will broadcast all the facts that benefit them and hide all the ones that make them look stupid. And anytime they get criticized, the retort with an unrelated comment. They're exactly like the kids at recess
"Yeah? Well, you're fat!!!!"
Go back to KillerFags.com and enjoy your threads. You guys basically get on their and jerk eachother off about how great you are.
"Oh man, we rock. I should get a mirror and just look at myself ALL DAY!"
When I hear that stupid chant on sat (CROSS TOWN WHIPPING BOY) I'll just come back with (OVERRATED!!!)

SHUT THE HELL UP AND GET THE HELL OUT!!!

GO PONIES!!!

The SPaz
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:09 pm

Whether or not the "band compeition" is one TCU would win or not is a moot point
I guess that gives SMU the Academics Flag. Spelling was never a TUC ... uh...CTU ...uh... UTC....Froggy virtue.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Spaz:
Actually, it's because we're nerds and spend too much time on the computer......
Thats probley the truth also!

GO MUSTANGS! KILL THE FROGS!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:43 pm

Well Mustang35... "probley" isn't what you meant. You are not helping the SMU/TCU academic debate, whether you are in high school or not!!
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Spaz » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:29 pm

LEAVE SPELLING OUT OF THIS!!!
It's a lame cutdown...
This is a Message Board, not a Master Thesis.
LET IT GO!!!

The Spaz
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby GallopingGuy » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:58 am

Originally posted by MizterTea:
forgive this froggy sucka - of COURSE he doesn't think that the band is related to the football program... at tcu, the band isn't

they are off playing for high school kids, while their football coach leads the alma mater (sans music) after a BIG win in Houston

But little froggy foo', see at SMU - the Mustang Band is ABSOLUTELY tied to the football team - its existance is as a spirit group for SMU ATHLETICS (men & woman's bball and football)

DCI is for high school kids - this is college - and we're suppose to have fun!
That's actually a really good point, MT. TCU's band isn't tied to their athletics nearly as much as the Mustang Band is to SMU's.

Actually, someone pretty high up in TCU's administration--it was either their director of music programs, or their athletic director, or something--was so impressed by the Mustang Band at our game against them a year or two ago that he came back to another game later in the year, just so he could videotape us and show their basketball band how they should be doing things over there.

Probably one of the best compliments we've had in awhile. I mean, you have to figure, if they could've gone to any school in the area besides us for that kind of a performance, they would have. The fact that they came here, in spite of the rivalry, shows just how important the Mustang Band is to the programs here at SMU.

Oh, and the people at the WAC tournament last year wanted us to stay even after we got eliminated from the tournament, if that tells you anything.

AdoptedFrog does raise a good point though... maybe PonyFans needs a separate section for Mustang Band-related posts. ;)

<small>[ 11-22-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: GallopingGuy ]</small>
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:15 am

Well, someone was trying to tell Adopted Frog that SMU has the academic advantage. Does that need to be here? Yes or no, it's hard to back up any argument on academics with bad spelling.

BTW, both my sons play(ed) trumpet.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:18 am

Addendum:

And it wasn't a cutdown. Is that what we call our comments here? Cutdowns? I thought this was a Pony Fans forum. I will debate principles all day, but I will not attack the person. Like calling someone an idiot as an opening thought because they have a different answer - like any answer given here will influence the powers at large.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:26 am

does any of this really NEED to be here?
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Next

Return to Football