PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Only 23-1/2 pt underdogs?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Only 23-1/2 pt underdogs?

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:37 am

Could it be the Ponies are getting a little respect because this is a "rivalry" game? Or, has TCU fallen that far? I'm surprised to see the line only 23-1/2 pts. As much as our offense has struggled this year, TCU may have the best defense we've faced. We will have to throw the ball to have any hope of scoring in this one.

I hate to be so negative, but that's the way I see it. Prove me wrong guys. Nobody associated with SMU wants to see us lose this game by 50 pts, but as I watched Clemson put 63 pts on the board against S.Carolina this weekend, I have fears of a similar fate for SMU this weekend.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Only 23-1/2 pt underdogs?

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:17 am

This could be ugly - we have to be prepared - I think it will be the last ugly SMU/TCU game for awhile though - for whatever that is worth. Watching the USM game vs them, I thought their defense looked very tough on the run against a much better OL then we have, but that there might be some pass/run opportunities for Phillips on the sprint outs - i am afraid Bennett gets conservative with Chris and we get run over - he will have to make a few first downs just to play keep away from their offense. This team needs to apopt the additude we have no pressure on us and nothing to lose - lets play hard and have fun. If an int. or fumble comes our way who knows? Another thing to keep in mind is we have played at least three teams this year that were better then TCU (OSU, Tech and Boise ST.) - and although there were pretty awful outcomes in each case there is no need to be intimidated - we have been here before.
gostangs

Postby methodistmustang » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:17 pm

Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
TCU may have the best defense we've faced. .
TCU will probably beat us and they may beat us badly...but if they didn't have a good offense their defense would suck. Name one team that could not score on the frogs this year...See what I mean. Everybody scores on them...we may not but I guarantee you Boise was 3 times as good as TCU. Tech was twice as good and OSU was twice as good as well. TCU would be around 7-5 with our schedule. Not only have they not really beaten a good team (Louiville is the only one worth mentioning), but their defense is awful. They are just lucky that our offense is awful too. I have watched them play around 5 or 6 times this year...trust me...no defense. And if Tulane, Houston, and UAB can just about beat them then I say we have a chance. It's not very big, but it's there.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby Spaz » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:26 pm

Yeah, but the problem is we have a weak offense....
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:33 pm

I will have to disagree. TCU's run defense is going to be as tough as we've seen this year. Their pass defense is suspect, but then again, we've shown no passing game. TCU's opponents have played catch up much of the year and that's why they've given up lots of passing yards and points...but I agree I should not slight their offense. They are capable of scoring in bunches.

I do agree that Boise and Miami-Ohio are every bit as talented if not more so than TCU. I hope TCU is matched up with Miami-Ohio in the Mobile Bowl so we can get a good comparison. I wouldn't go so far to say TCU would be 7-5 against our schedule, but I do agree they would probably have lost 2-3 games.

I should have faith after last year's game which even at their place was surprisingly competitive. Hope our guys play the entire 60 minutes and allow this year's seniors to go out with some pride.

P.S. (post edited after second thoughts) O.K., maybe I'm posting all this negative stuff about getting blown out by TCU as a defense mechanism...preparing for the worst scenario imagineable. BUT...it just came to me. Phillips, taking advantage of the extra week's preparation, is going to have his break out game and throw for 300 yds and 4 TDs. Comet will have 10 catches for 100+ yds and two of those TDs to go out in style. The passing game will set up Keylon, who will run for 100+ yds in his final game as a Mustang...and KK will score two TDs, one of which will come on a screen pass. He will also hit one of our frosh recievers for a TD on a tailback option pass. The purple menace will be defeated and sent home to cowtown totally embarrased. The game will mark the turning point for SMU football and coach Bennett will go on to become the all-tie winningest coach in SMU football history. Is that better? I feel better.

<small>[ 11-24-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Charleston Pony ]</small>
Charleston Pony

Postby StangEsq » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:13 pm

betting on SMU is basically saying that TCU can't score 30 on us.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:31 am

that is a good assesment - and looking at their receivers and the power outside running they do it is hard to contemplate that they will not score 30. They will come so hard at Phillips on blitzes that it will make your head hurt - we need to do some draws and screens or we are already dead. I am so ready to see Cleveland and a faster LB corps go after these guys in a year or two - Our LB crew currently have huge heart, but that just does not usually get it done on this sort of game. Two facts - they are not as good as their record and we are not as bad.
gostangs

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:18 am

I can only wonder how big of a game KK will have...do you even think we'll try to pass this game?
Mustangs35SMU

Return to Football