PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nail in the Coffin

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nail in the Coffin

Postby Johnny Rock » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:07 am

The TCU game will be the final nail in the coffin this year. This season is the worst season in SMU football history. However, it is really no suprise. Why will the results be any different next season? We may improve but other teams are improving as well. We will recruit high school players and many of them will have one offer from a Division 1 school--SMU. On the other hand, our competition will recruit several JUCO players to help their teams. Many of you do not like me for being truthful, but it is my job to bring honesty and reality to this board. Think about my comments while you guys are watching TCU beat the crap out of us. Think about my comments when you guys witness more TCU fans at the game than SMU fans. If you do this, then you guys may be as pissed off as me about what is going on at SMU.
Johnny Rock

Re: Nail in the Coffin

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:34 am

One question, JR: where will YOU be sitting at the game? (From the tone of your post, it sounds like you won't be there.) I'll be on the 50-yd. line, section 104, row 14 yelling and cheering my Mustangs on!!!! Yeah, it's been a tough season. But I'll still be there, as any loyal fan would!

<small>[ 11-26-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:09 pm

Ignore him. He confuses being "truthful" with having something constructive to say. He adds nothing to the debate other than look at me, I am the great Truth Teller.

Saying we are doing poorly hardly needs his acknowelegement or input, especially when he only contribution has been as Chicken Little. If he is an SMU Fan, which I doubt; he certainly hasn't done anything to help.

:thumbdown:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Johnny Rock » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:11 pm

I cannot make this game. I will be out of town. It is probably a good idea that I miss this one. I do not know if I can witness another loss this year. My heart has gone through enough strain for one season. Give the TCU fans hell. I hate TCU fans worse than my ex-girlfriend and that is saying a lot.
Johnny Rock

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:15 pm

Mr. Mustang, I wish we had 20000 more like you. Having said that its not acceptable to be 0-11 against the schedule we play. Its not alright at all. I don't like the way JR expresses himself sometimes, but I can tell you I will have some angry feelings come Saturday if things go as expected by most people (23.5 pt spread) and I have to hear the purple pukes taking over our stadium and campus. Unacceptable. SMU has not done what it takes to compete and basically admitted as much since the procedure changes in 2001. It makes you wonder what else HASN'T been addressed yet.
Hoop Fan

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:57 pm

Originally posted by Johnny Rock:
I cannot make this game. I will be out of town. It is probably a good idea that I miss this one. I do not know if I can witness another loss this year. My heart has gone through enough strain for one season. Give the TCU fans hell. I hate TCU fans worse than my ex-girlfriend and that is saying a lot.
Why am I not surprised? Gee, JR...I know I can witness another loss this season (although I enter the stadium with a 'positive attitude' of WINNING!) and my heart is probably a helluva lot older than yours! You sound like another 'fair weather fan' from Dallas. I witnessed the same from Cowboy fans, back in the 'glory days' of 'America's Team'.

I've been at the following games and have cheered on the Mustangs:

SMU v. Texas Tech
SMU v. Baylor
SMU v. OSU
SMU v. UTEP
SMU v. Boise State
SMU v. Fresno State
and, this weekend: SMU v. TCU

Do the right thing, everybody! GET OUT TO FORD STADIUM ON SATURDAY AND SUPPORT THE MUSTANGS! AND YELL YOUR FRIGGIN' A** OFF, TOO!
MrMustang1965

Postby scostas » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:02 pm

Please forgive Johnny as he is recovering from a virus and been heavily medicated the last few days. Johnny, get off the meds.

I share a lot of his frustrations.... However, I must say based on experience, I would much rather deal with a Frog than his ex.

Anything is possible, so I say - GO MUSTANGS!!!
scostas

Postby CoxSMU » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:18 pm

There is a difference between pessimistic and being realistic...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:59 pm

Dear Mr. Rock,

I can give you a slew of reasons while we'll be better next year. Fist off and most significantly, all these freshmen we started this year will no longer be freshmen. They will all benefit from a year in the system, they are acclimated to the size and speed of the college game and they benefit from an offseason with Coach Faucette. Munlin, Massey and Dorsey at RB. With all kudos to the great KK, all three of these backs are probably an upgrade. McKinney and Munlin at FB will also be an upgrade. With any luck, our #1 QB won't quit (as in the last 3-4 years in A ROW – Bartel, Page, Luker, McCown), nor will our top receiver graduate (Cardwell) or quit (Francis). We lose Harris on the O-line, but Johnson has a year of experience now, and talented freshmen may be good enough to challenge our current starters at center and both guard positions.

Don't know whether you think this is good or bad, but we'll have essentially all the same personnel on defense. We lose Brian Bischoff and DD Johnson at LB, but their backups are supposed to be stellar. And of course, we loose the great Jonus Rutledge, which is a bummer. But otherwise, everyone should be a year older and stronger, and hopefully the DBs won't get so banged up. Adami should rock in his senior year, and the freshmen DLs should be much improved. We might also be able to add some size at DE by throwing Pryor and Delay into the mix.

This isn't to say we'll be great, but we should be making strides in the right direction... finally.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:54 pm

....there is simply no doubt in my mind that this program will get better in the next few years-the issue is whether we presently have a Model in place that will allow us EXCELL-keep your eye on the ball-are happy going to a bowl game every 10 years or so or do you want to see SMU playing for championships-heck maybe making a run at the BCS some year like TCU. I don't apologize for making the argument for the latter.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxSMU » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:59 pm

Obviously there is no where else we can go than up....But there is no excuse in the book for 0-11...A hard Schedule? Nope, we have one of the easiest in the nation! A hard conference? Nope, we play in a weak, weak conference! I am not a pessimist. I am realist. But I am realist that will stand by my team...

I think we will improve and I am not jumping off of Bennett's wagon yet, but there is no excuse for this season
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:09 pm

There's one salve that would heal a lot of wounds, an upset on Saturday. Man would that feel good. Almost as good as a night in the sack with Pamela Anderson after four months on a desert island. Note I said "almost".
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:02 pm

So this is Johnny's job. I thought he probably was unemployed. Maybe Johnny needs an assitant. I know several people who don't know much about sports but talk alot. I'll ask them to apply via this board to Johnny directly. Happy Thanksgiving to all, even Johnny.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby SMUFan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:06 pm

Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
Dear Mr. Rock,

I can give you a slew of reasons while we'll be better next year. Fist off and most significantly, all these freshmen we started this year will no longer be freshmen. They will all benefit from a year in the system, they are acclimated to the size and speed of the college game and they benefit from an offseason with Coach Faucette. Munlin, Massey and Dorsey at RB. With all kudos to the great KK, all three of these backs are probably an upgrade. McKinney and Munlin at FB will also be an upgrade. With any luck, our #1 QB won't quit (as in the last 3-4 years in A ROW – Bartel, Page, Luker, McCown), nor will our top receiver graduate (Cardwell) or quit (Francis). We lose Harris on the O-line, but Johnson has a year of experience now, and talented freshmen may be good enough to challenge our current starters at center and both guard positions.

Don't know whether you think this is good or bad, but we'll have essentially all the same personnel on defense. We lose Brian Bischoff and DD Johnson at LB, but their backups are supposed to be stellar. And of course, we loose the great Jonus Rutledge, which is a bummer. But otherwise, everyone should be a year older and stronger, and hopefully the DBs won't get so banged up. Adami should rock in his senior year, and the freshmen DLs should be much improved. We might also be able to add some size at DE by throwing Pryor and Delay into the mix.

This isn't to say we'll be great, but we should be making strides in the right direction... finally.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby SMUFan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:13 pm

Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
Dear Mr. Rock,

THANK YOU, Grand Master Punch, for shedding a little optimism into JRock's miserable forecast. I would guess that your man McKinney might redshirt his first year, but the idea of a backfield with Munlin, Massey and Dorsey is beyond appealing. And while we lose Harris (and don't forget Reindl - this year's best lineman, in my opinion) from the offensive line, we have a couple waiting in the wings who bring great size and strength, and reportedly, great ability. Boren and Peveto are supposed to be monsters-in-waiting. Burley is 6'5, 320 .... he's GOT to be an asset in a year or two, right? Losing Bischoff and Johnson (and Jarrian James) from the LB crew will hurt, until we get a look at Cory Muse, Avery Cleveland and Zach Hall. I'll miss Rutledge, to be sure, but Charles Akinyemi, Fred Turner, Ervin McGee and C.D. Moss have a year in the system under their belts, and if this Lindley guy is as good as advertised, who knows? Maybe he could play as a freshman?

No, we will not win the WAC in our last season as a member. We will continue to have our growing pains. But we also will show signs of what's to come, which includes better athleticism and speed across the board, and a few wins. In 2005, we break out -- just in time to scare the hell out of a new conference.
SMUFan
All-American

Next

Return to Football