PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking forward to SMU in C-USA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking forward to SMU in C-USA

Postby thedragons » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:56 pm

Wanted to let you fellas know I'm glad SMU has joined the conference. The Ponies should have came in when TCU did, but I guess it's better late than never. I'm really looking forward to the Blazers first trip into Dallas for a game with you guys.

I've got a question for any of you who care to answer. Being a long time college football fan I've noticed (to me a disturbing trend) that several schools with classic uniforms and helmets changing them. Do you guys like the new color scheme for your team (helmets)? No offense but when I think of SMU I picture white helmets, it's just hard to get used to.

Happy to have SMU in C-USA and looking forward to UAB playing you!
thedragons

Re: Looking forward to SMU in C-USA

Postby couch 'em » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:04 am

Be careful when you say 'classic' uniforms...yes, we had the white helmets for a long time, but we had different ones before that. I'm sure people thought we were changing a classic helmet when we went to the whites for the first time.

As far as liking the color scheme.... I really like the blue helmets with red jerseys.... any other time, they are just 'ok,' and it is hard to see the pony.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:36 am

Give me the old school uniforms ala the Pony Express era anyday.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:01 am

new unis own the old ones.

1000% better.. and they're still very traditional looking.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:59 am

I like going all the way back to the Hayden Fry uniforms that had red helmuts with white logos and blue jerseys.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:59 am

I like going all the way back to the Hayden Fry uniforms that had red helmuts with white logos and blue jerseys.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby pony91 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:22 am

These dragons are smart!!! I like Phil B. but if a new Coach will bring back the traditional uni's Ill help pack boxes. Only real schools like Bama,Texas,Penn state, Golden Domers,Mich and Ohio state keep uni's the same.
pony91
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:42 am

I didn't like the red helmets with the horse on them, because they were hard to differentiate from the Hogs helmets at a distance. The white were easy to see, and I liked them. The blue ones are okay, but they'd be better if the horse had a white outline. Red and blue are too close together on the color spectrum.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:40 am

We need a white outline around the pony a la KU's new helmet.

Well, there's is white with red outline...perhaps that's what we need:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/big12.htm
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby methodistmustang » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:47 am

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
new unis own the old ones.

1000% better.. and they're still very traditional looking.
Leave it to the Floridian to love the new Ole Miss uniforms. When someone thinks of SMU they think white helmets and blue jerseys. We should keep it that way regardless of the other helmets we had before that.
SMU-THE University of Texas
methodistmustang
Scout Team

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:24 am

Yeah, the floridian.. I'm such an outsider to the Texas culture. Look down upon me because I'm not an arrogant [deleted] with an ego bigger than his own state. You know, you do REALIZE that there are few outside of Texas that can remember the SMU Mustangs and even fewer that even give a **** about the Stangs now. I get made fun of for being an SMU fan, and I probably should be.

My dad remembers what a powerhouse we were in football in the 80s, when even basketball was strong. And, well, I don't.

Do you have something against Florida, or just me? I don't remember SMU winning a damn thing in the past 15 years... but I sure remember the Florida Gators, the FSU Seminoles and Miami Hurricanes winning quite a few national titles. When did SMU, Texas, or A&M win one last anyway?

We're nothing. And yeah, our unis have changed a lot over the years, and this is just the next change. So what.

And I'm sorry, but I have no idea how our unis even draw a comparison to the Ole Miss unis. They are drastically different.. and even so, it's not like anyone would notice ours because we sure as hell aren't enjoying the success of a school like Ole Miss.

A lot of the players thought the old unis were UGLY.. and they were. They were from a different era. The A&M's and Bama's can keep their unis.. they were nice to begin with.. very simple and classic. Ours were too dated. ASK THE STUDENTS, not their grandpa's.

<small>[ 11-29-2003, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: FloridaMustang ]</small>
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:12 am

Personally I love the new SMU uniforms dunno why anybody wouldnt like em! They're great! yes they do represent Ole Miss a lot! But they were much better than the ones we had!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Stallion » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:31 am

weren't the students the ones that thought SMU's Jet retro uniforms were cool too. Enough Said!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football