PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU's Inferiority Complex

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU's Inferiority Complex

Postby stc9 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 pm

I have to be fair to the Froggies in regards to their "Inferiority Complex" - yes, you have one or you wouldn't be spending so much time on our message boards. When I came home from work this afternoon I flipped on ESPNU and watched "College Football Live" and the "BCS Countdown". I figured with the game this weekend we would get a little TV time. TCU the #4 team in the country was mentioned three times. Only three times.

1) One sentence to say TCU plays SMU this weekend
2) Why AQ Schools are going to jump both Boise and TCU in the rankings - that was more about Boise and Nebraska than TCU.
3) Another sentence to say that TCU plays SMU this weekend (almost in passing - nothing about the game)

Here is what they decided to speak about instead.
1) Brutus the Buckeye mixing it up with U of Ohio's Bobcat
2) The Blue Turf at Boise State and how it affects opposing QBs.
3) Oregon State is painting their practice field blue to be ready for the game this weekend (The team TCU trounced a couple of weeks ago - the color of their practice field is more important than the #4 team in the polls).
4) This is really going to hurt. Eastern Washington University, BLM's current school, got a shout out and some video time for installing the Red Turf.
5) How many push ups the Oregon Duck has had to do this season and speculating if he would be the buffest mascot in the country at the end of the season.

I can understand why they are so angry. They are the #4 Team in the country, they have a rivalry game coming up and EWU gets more airtime. The commercial breaks were filled with plugs for the Boise vs. Oregon State game (SMU/TCU is playing on the same family of networks and not a mention). I can see them not mentioning us, but we are not the #4 team in the nation.

So the message for the day is be patient with the Froggies. They feel neglected.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Re: TCU's Inferiority Complex

Postby ponyscott » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:04 pm

I think they should have a Purple football field so they can keep up with Boise State's field....maybe then they can feel worthy, as a pollywog should....
ponyscott
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NickSMU17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I have said it all day...

TCU is the still nationally irrelevant...

To most up here, there is no difference between SMU and TCU, except TCU stinks less...

The consensus is that TCU would be able to beat Ill. Indiana, Minn in the big 10...prob. be = to Northwestern...

The truth hurts...
NickSMU17

Postby TexKev12 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 pm

.....we are playing freaking SMU.......YOU are the reason that this game gets no hype!!!!

......and I find it funny that nobody cares about us...yet the media and coaches vote us in the top 5, can you explain that to me please?
TexKev12
Junior Varsity

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 pm

TexKev12 wrote:.....we are playing freaking SMU.......YOU are the reason that this game gets no hype!!!!

......and I find it funny that nobody cares about us...yet the media and coaches vote us in the top 5, can you explain that to me please?

You and your brethren said it yourself. No one in the media watch the games, so basing your argument off their assumption is flawed hombre. (Thanks LSAT)
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Undercover Frog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 am

We get plenty of media attention. College GameDay covered us twice last year, once in Fort Worth. And we make headlines on ESPN when we play Oregon State, or Utah, or any other Top 25 program.

This week we're playing you.
Undercover Frog
Recruit

Postby ThisIsOurTime » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:03 am

TCU and the MWC do not have a television contract with ESPN. We are with one of their few rivals, the Mountain and CBSCS. For this reason, ESPN does not give us as much air time and focuses on teams that are under their umbrella which includes Boise and all those other teams.
This is also why Boise gets far more coverage on ESPN and all its related channels than TCU for not just this year but the past couple of years as well. Once Boise joins the MWC, ESPN will likely pull back on their coverage and pimp the teams under their umbrella.
ThisIsOurTime
Junior Varsity

Postby Big Hoss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:44 am

ThisIsOurTime wrote:TCU and the MWC do not have a television contract with ESPN. We are with one of their few rivals, the Mountain and CBSCS. For this reason, ESPN does not give us as much air time and focuses on teams that are under their umbrella which includes Boise and all those other teams.
This is also why Boise gets far more coverage on ESPN and all its related channels than TCU for not just this year but the past couple of years as well. Once Boise joins the MWC, ESPN will likely pull back on their coverage and pimp the teams under their umbrella.

Got to admit, that argument was pretty damn logical.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:03 am

The Friday game isn't a prime TV slot regardless of rankings. A Friday game is up against high school football. A considerable number of fans that could watch a college game on TV will be at a local HS game. Add in all the other end of the week activities and it makes for a low viewership game. My guess is the consistent big boys know this and refused to play on ESPN on Friday night. TCU and SMU, being non AQ schools, are both desperate for national TV exposure.

As noted, TCU doesn't have access to a consistent major network contract and thus consistent national exposure. SMU has even less.

It is in the best interest of both teams to have a very well played, close, exciting game. Both schools need the media buzz of a great game.
ponyte

Postby Get_Some_Ponies » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 am

Also agree we've looked less than spectacular which might account for lack of exposure. And the ESPN Boise factor is huge as that channel is basically a giant promo.
[img]http://xs206.xs.to/xs206/06381/flamingfrog.jpg[img]
Get_Some_Ponies
All-American

Postby stc9 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 am

ThisIsOurTime wrote:TCU and the MWC do not have a television contract with ESPN. We are with one of their few rivals, the Mountain and CBSCS. For this reason, ESPN does not give us as much air time and focuses on teams that are under their umbrella which includes Boise and all those other teams.

That makes sense. But why no plug/commercial for the SMU/TCU game at all? I really want to know this - not a pony vs. Froggie thing. They game is running unopposed and they don't have a commercial to at least mention the game time. If people don't watch the game they make less money. TCU is a ranked team so people outside the Metroplex and alumni will want to watch the game. So why no plug? It would be in their best interest.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby fivemon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 am

they had something on sportscenter this morning
fivemon
Varsity

Postby DiamondM75 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:43 am

ponyscott wrote:I think they should have a Purple football field so they can keep up with Boise State's field...

With a big DIAMOND M in the middle?
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Return to Football