PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Public flogging of Desmond Jones,

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Public flogging of Desmond Jones,

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:37 pm

tonight, 8 pm, Dallas Hall......unreal!!! GOOD GAME PONIES, super effort!! Next Year........
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Re: Public flogging of Desmond Jones,

Postby CoxSMU » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:51 pm

I missed it, what did he do?
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby CoxSMU » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:59 pm

No one knows?

<small>[ 11-29-2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: CoxSMU ]</small>
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:48 pm

Big 3rd down play for tcu LATE, LATE, LATE in the game, jumps offsides..1st. down tcu, the rest is history, critical blunder...but, he's ONLY a frosh... :no:
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby Pony Up » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:06 pm

Way off base there, HFH. We all cringed with the announcement from the ref, but Jones is a freshman who was jumping out of his shoes trying to make a play in a tight ballgame when we actually had a chance to get a win against a ranked team, no less. Yeah, it sucks that he jumped, but that's an effort mistake. I'd rather have that than a flag because of laziness or lack of attention to assignments. Jones made a mistake. But he also made a hell of a lot of plays today and this season. Gimme 5 more just like him.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:39 am

That wasn't the 1st time this year that Desmond got flagged for being over anxious, but it certainly was the most important error of his young career. My bet is that he will learn from it and come back a better player for having made that mistake. Desmond will be a huge factor in SMU's turnaround. Now, he needs to work on selling some more defensive linemen on attending SMU.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:13 am

I very rarely like to blame anyone for one play....You lose a game because of what happens in 60 minutes, not one play...
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:45 pm

Nice cliche', Cox, but facts are facts, Desmonds mental blunder at an incredibly critical time of the ball game, was one of the primary, if not the main reasons for our loss of MO, turn of events, spiral towards a big fat juicy L...sorry, I'm not BLAMING Desmond, I'm simply saying his mistake contributed GREATLY to that L, the "other 59 kids", if I'm not mistaken, did not jump offsides on 3rd down, late, in a tight, big, ball game..... :hmm:
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:52 pm

All I am saying is that if anyone blames him, they are fools...I know you aren't blaming him and no one really has...But I hate it when someone says "That call blew the game for us" or "Player X cost of the game."

The game is played by 11 defenders and 11 offensive players...all contributed to our loss...He will learn and I look forward to having him mature more and more...
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby scostas » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:50 pm

That's as crazy as blaming the Cubs loss on the fan. I'm sure a public flogging is pale in comparison to how he feels about that call. On a much smaller scale, I've been in that situation. There's too many other players and too many siuations throughout the game to solely blame him. Maybe they would have scored on that play if he wasn't offsides? See how stupid this is?
scostas

Postby abezontar » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:04 pm

As long as we are playing what if, what if Adami hadn't gotten called for the facemask, or what if we had held onto the ball when we had the chance to make the interception on TCUs last scoring drive, what if Pellerin had caught that beautiful pass from Phillips in the cornor of the endzone in the first half, what if we had been able to score when we had the ball inside the ten the second time in the first half. Hell, what if we had made that field goal to tie Baylor, we might have won then, what if KK hadn't fumbled after that 50 yard reception against UTEP, what if Tate hadn't thrown that interception against Neveda......bottom line is it doesn't matter, those things didn't happen, and as long as whoever made the mistake learns what to do next time so that the mistake isn't repeated then what's the point of riding them over it. And as long as we are playing what if, what if we hadn't gotten caught cheating in the 80s and we hadn't been given the death penalty, man can't you just see all the national championships we would have one, not to mention the SWC and big 12 titles.....
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:09 pm

Ron Meyer used to say you lose 1 game for each true freshman who plays significant minutes. Eric Dickerson was literrally a wash-out third string TB in his freshman year. He didn't lose the game. We lost the game 3-4 years ago when we failed to recruit any true defensive lineman.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:13 pm

We had less than 240 yards of total offense for the entire game. To assume we would have scored a touchdown, made the extra point, and then scored more points in OT than TCU is a reach. TCU had over 370 total yards of offense and moved the ball more consistently than we did. Desmond Jones is the real deal and does not deserve to be singled out for anything negative.

On a more positive note, our punting game was superb and Cory Muse looks like a complete stud. He, Zach and Avery give us a terrific LB future.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:20 pm

As for Desmond - we are very lucky to have him - I can't wait to see what kind of havic he will play in the few years.
gostangs

Postby WildHorse » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:31 am

No kidding! Wait until he's a little more mature - physically and mentally. He showed great promise this year. He's going to be very, very good. We haven't had a DT with his size, strength and quickness since .... maybe Byron Bonds?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Next

Return to Football