PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pass Interference Call

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pass Interference Call

Postby pony91 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:26 pm

That was a bad call. If anything it should have been Offensive Pass Interference. Anyway, You Frogs are right even though you did not win your conference you're still too good to be in Conf. USA Yeah right??!! Toads are still trying to get out of playing a real team by going with Hawaii in Don Ho Bowl.
pony91
Scout Team

Re: Pass Interference Call

Postby geno » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:49 pm

Hey Pony91, would you really rather spend a week in Mobile Alabama than Honolulu Hawaii? If so, you MUST be 91!
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony Up » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:25 pm

First of all, it was a terrible call. It was an uncatchable ball, so pass interference doesn't apply. Hell, Shawn Bradley couldn't have reached that thing. Did you see Brandon Hassell after the play? He looked at the ref like "Really? You're calling that?" Even if the ball was within reach, the flag never should have been thrown. Both the offensive and defensive players have a right to go for the ball, and Jamey Harper was going for the ball. Had he turned into the receiver - sure, you get to call P.I. But he was going for the ball, making the contact incidental. Terrible call -- much like the facemask call on Adami, who (A) didn't look like he really got a handful -- should have been a 5-yard penalty -- and (B) was getting tackled from behind by a Frog blocker. No hold called.

And Geno, TCU isn't waiting for a Hawaii Bowl invitation. They want to make money by playing in a bowl game at their own field, sell a lot of tickets (obviously more than they would 5,000 miles away) and then show the MWC what a great bowl game they host (Errr .... "It's not a TCU event. Just a coincidence that we're playing in it. We're really just concerned about the players and their final exams schedule." Riiiiigght.) They have no interest in going to Hawaii.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:22 am

Originally posted by geno:
Hey Pony91, would you really rather spend a week in Mobile Alabama than Honolulu Hawaii? If so, you MUST be 91!
You really need to lay off the crack pipe, Gena. It makes you look even more moronic. First off, how many of the so called "TCU Faithful" are going to be snatching up tickets to go to a bowl game that's thousands of miles away and would be cost prohibitive to most of it's fans and students, not to mention a heck of a travel expense issue to the school itself? If you think they would be bringing in lots of fans, you're sorely mistaken. Besides, I doubt they'd want to go to Hawai'i anyway because odds are they'd probably lose to that Run and Shoot Machine that June Jones has out there. I'd love to hear the excuse on that one. For the few TCU fans with some grace(i.e. WobbleFrog and PigskinFrog) who come on here at least seem reasonable, all you do is make your good fans look bad. To be honest, I could care less if you post. It's just whenenever you decided to "get smart" and post, you just bolster the argument that people from TCU are idiots and I say this with apologies to the aforementioned frog fans.
I know people are going to come on here and say it's "all about the academics" but as Stuart Smalley once said, "denial is not just a river in Egypt." The real issue is that TCU wants to play in the Ft.Worth Bowl simply because it would cut expenses by not having to travel and it would essentially be a home game. Yeah, the payout may not be the same but if you don't have to pay any travel costs then hey, who's complaining? I would say that the issue of a "lesser opponent" could be another reason. After all, who would want to be shown up by a better mid major program?However, I might throw that out the window since the game will bring in a team from the Big XII. Whatever the team is here that they would bring in, I am willing to bet that it would be more than a match for TCU. Anyway, don't waste your breath about Hawai'i because it just isn't going to happen.

<small>[ 11-30-2003, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex ]</small>
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:08 pm

Actually, I don't think the NCAA has the "catchable ball" rule. Interference is interference. Still, our player was playing the ball and the call should have been reversed. But a worse call (or no call) was when they had 12 men in the huddle on the play that they scored their last TD on.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:57 pm

Not true. College refs can wave off a flag if the ball is ruled uncatchable.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby abezontar » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:31 pm

Either way we got screwed.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football