PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Even winners can get canned

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Even winners can get canned

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:42 am

Some places just aren't satisfied with winning. Then again, these people seem to think that they're going to win a national championship every year. Must be a nice problem to have in firing a coach who's won over 75 percent of their games. Amazing.

OMAHA, Neb. -- Nebraska football coach Frank Solich was fired Saturday night after winning more than 75 percent of his games over six seasons but failing to keep the Cornhuskers as the national powerhouse they were under Tom Osborne.
The firing by athletic director Steve Pederson was first reported by the Omaha World-Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star.
"All I know is we did the best we could. We mustered up nine wins. To a man, we can hold our heads high," offensive coordinator Barney Cotton told the Associated Press.
Cotton said he had a bad feeling about the situation on the flight home from Colorado on Friday night after Nebraska's 31-22 victory.
"I was happy with the win and proud of how the kids played, but I didn't know if that win was enough to resolve the situation," he said. "Steve's decision must have already been made."
Solich's son-in-law, Jon Dalton, said Solich is disappointed.
"I don't know the reason behind it," Dalton said. "Get Steve to tell you. This is a sad day for the state of Nebraska."
Split end Ross Pilkington, was stunned.
"I'm so filled with emotion," Pilkington said. "It almost feels like losing my father. After winning nine games, this doesn't happen."
Solich and Pederson could not be reached for comment. Nebraska spokesperson Chris Anderson would not comment Saturday night on the firing.
Pederson has scheduled a news conference for Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.
Solich had just finished a 9-3 regular season with Friday's 31-22 victory at Colorado. He was 58-19 in six seasons.
Pinnacle Sports Network, the rights holder for Nebraska radio broadcasts, reported that first-year defensive coordinator Bo Pelini would be the interim head coach.
The current group of assistants will coach the in Nebraska's upcoming bowl game. It was unknown whether any of the assistants will be retained after the bowl.
"Frank just said it was over, and that Steve (Pederson) would be contacting us," Cotton told the Lincoln Journal Star.
It will cost the university at least $1.8 million to buy out Solich's contract, which was to run through June 2006. He was paid an annual base salary of $321,260, with another $518,000 in guaranteed supplemental compensation.
Solich took over after Osborne retired after the 1997 season. The Cornhuskers won at least a share of the national title in three of Osborne's final four seasons.
Solich was 42-9 in his first four seasons. He was Big 12 coach of the year in 1999 and 2001, won the '99 conference title and his team played for the national championship after the '01 season.
But Solich's success was downplayed because critics said he won with players recruited by Osborne.
The Cornhuskers went 7-7 in 2002 -- the team's worst season since 1961 -- and struggled against quality opponents this season.
Their three losses all were by more than 17 points, capped by a 38-9 loss to Kansas State -- Nebraska's worst at home since 1958 -- in the final home game of the season.
Solich's record for his six seasons was 58-19.
The last Nebraska head football coach to be fired was Bill Jennings, who was removed and replaced by Bob Devaney in 1962.
Solich played fullback for Nebraska from 1963-65. He was assistant to Osborne for 19 years beginning in 1979.

<small>[ 11-30-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex ]</small>
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Re: Even winners can get canned

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:45 am

It's really become a nightmare profession for these top BCS football coaches. Tommy Bowden was going to be fired at Clemson before a strong finish against FSU and USC saved his fanny. That would have been another 9-3 coach to go. There are so many programs out there...especially the ones who have won national championships in the past...that expect to win 10 or more games every year; they simply ignore the fact these 12 member conferences have created a much tougher path. I remember the days of the 10 member SEC when they only played 7 conference games...just so they could fatten up their records (and pocketbooks) with home games against lesser opponents. Those days are gone and it's become a real pressure cooker for these guys. Looks like Mack Brown is off the hot seat...at least until they lose to OU next year! I wonder how long Fran will be given at A$M to produce 10 wins?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:31 pm

Yep, they fire the coach who wins 9 games and keep a coauch who loses 12. Go figure. :no:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:54 pm

Make that 21 losses in 2 years. I know I know, Bennett's the guy. Wait'll next year.....or at least until recruiting season's over.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:10 pm

Sam and Plano - you can post what you want - but I have a feeling you will be feeling stupid within two years regarding your Bennett bashing. In any event - you know he has at least next year - so why don't you give it a rest until then?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football