PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Changes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coaching Changes

Postby 50's PONY » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:22 pm

Bennett Announces Staff Reorganization
SMU To Hire New Offensive Coordinator

For Immediate Release
Monday, December 1, 2003

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU Head Football Coach Phil Bennett has announced that he will reorganize his staff and hire a new offensive coordinator.

Former coordinator Larry Edmondson will become a position coach for the Mustangs and Bennett will hire a new offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.

Bennett also announced that Johnny Ringo and Blake Miller will not return to the staff as part of the reorganization.

Bennett would like to have his staff finalized by the end of the month.
50's PONY
Heisman

Re: Coaching Changes

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:51 am

Blake Miller was the Oline coach wasn't he? Hmmm. I'm not sure I would blame him for the shortcomings, but Oline is where the most improvement is needed no doubt. I don't understand Edmondson staying on in what amounts to a major demotion. How can that work?
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WildHorse » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:56 am

I was curious about that, too. Edmondson has some skins on the wall - what he did with the offense at Southwest Louisiana was impressive, to say the least. This is not an isolated arrangement, but it sure is unusual.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:07 am

Dismissing Ringo might be seen as Bennett wanting to have all his own people, although a year late. But it has to hurt. Keeping Edmundson in any capacity is hard to make out. Miller I can't figure, except to wonder if his predecessor would have been retained.

Will someone confirm that part of the problem at Auburn this last season was naming a good old boy coach as OC? I think he was previously a line coach. I hope Bennett does not pull a stunt like that no matter who he brings in.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football