PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Offensive Coordinator Candidates

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:31 am

If we hire a high school coach, I'm going to give up on Bennett and Copeland.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby cowboypony » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:39 am

You guys are being very short sited if the only criteria for our OC is whether or not he comes from a college program. By the theory some of you throw out there, if the coach comes from a college program then he is qualified. That's ridiculous. As I've said many times, if we can find a successful, experienced college coach with coordinator experience, then, yes, by all means, hire him. If not, a guy like Dodge is a viable hire.

However, as a realist, we'd be competing with BCS type schools for someone with this pedigree. What I'm not excited about is hiring a 20 year college coach that's floated around at low level D1 programs with marginal success. Give me Dodge over this type of hire any day of the week.

As for the suggestion that Dodge runs a simple spread offense and Briles runs some second coming of the West Coast Offense - that's factually incorrect. The offense that Briles runs basically implements 6 plays that have about 4 variations each. It's actually quite simple - the key is that it is run to almost perfection. The QB at UH is a family friend so don't dispute me on this one. Dodge's offense is equally simple. Also, Dodge has had success at all of his head coaching jobs - not just Carroll. By the way, Carroll is probably the hottest high school coaching job in the State of Texas and they could have hired anyone they wanted - yet, they picked Dodge. Further, as to the comment that Dodge is merely carrying on some tradition that was already established, consider that Carroll is the first team in Texas high school history that won the state championship in it's first year in a new classification (5A). Part of the reason that I like Dodge is that he wins with discipline and not necessarily a truck load of D1 type athletes - especially at the QB position. He develops extremely disciplined leaders on the field and they rarely make mistakes. From what I've witnessed, that's a characteristic that we could use at SMU.

Whoever we hire needs to bring something different to the table than what we've had. I'm just fearful of getting some tired coordinator from a mediocre program that will do nothing for us as far as innovation or recruiting.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony Poo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:05 pm

I agree. I would rather take a chance on an up and coming coach then someone who has been around awhile treading water at different colleges. I just don't see how we could get a "PROVEN" OC to come to SMU. Basically on this board we are in a lose lose situation. Bring in a great High School coach and 1/2 the people b*tch about not getting a "proven" college OC. Bring in an OC with experience and 1/2 the people will b*tch about bringing in an OC that has not proven himself at other colleges.
Good luck Bennett, regardless of who you bring in I will still be in the stands next year.
Pony Poo

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:01 pm

Did anyone hear the way Curry was sniping at Flanagan's play calling last night on ESPN? He allowed as how he will be a great coach "some day", but on the whole, he questioned play after play. If Ramon was a candidate, it might make it hard for Bennett to hire him now.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:11 pm

EastStang

I took it another way about Coach Curry. He said he respected Coach Dunn (former DC at Arkansas & temp HC) and that Coach Flanigan was learning from him (ie young). He did say that on the shotgun option (for a TD) that the student just 'taught' the teacher... I thought Ramon got some great pub last night. I also thought his play calling, especially in the second half was excellent. But for a couple of 'dumb' play penalties UNT would have scored late in the 4th.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby MizterTea » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:11 pm

Originally posted by FloridaMustang:
If we hire a high school coach, I'm going to give up on Bennett and Copeland.
stop talkin' jibba jabba sucka -
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football