PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A message to all on this board and to the athletic department

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A message to all on this board and to the athletic department

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:26 pm

There has been too much talk about TCU on this board. Who cares what they do? The focus needs to be on SMU and what needs to be done to put winners on the field in football and men's basketball. Focus on yourselves and SMU and quit worrying about TCU. The same holds true to the men and women in the athletic department. Ask yourselves why are you failing. Look at your policies and compare them with the policies at successful athletic programs. Why are they successful and you are not? To Coach Bennett, do not worry whether or not TCU will be on the schedule in a few seasons. Who cares? Focus on your coaching and recruiting. Focus on yourself. Many of you should follow my lead. The legendary Johnny Rock. My motto is simple: take care of yourself before you worry about what others are doing. I also have several other mottos but that one fits this message.
Johnny Rock

Re: A message to all on this board and to the athletic department

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 pm

agree - however, this is why there is a rivalry with the purple gooey sluts.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby CoxSMU » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:31 pm

I agree,somewhat...Last time I checked, we aren't playing football and they are. We have some threads going about the coaching staff, etc...but why would we turn a blind eye to whats going on over there? Like N&C said, its called a rivalry...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:08 am

Ok you wanna talk about SMU Football? Ok we've been in ESPN's Bottom 10 #1 Position since Week 9! Thats 6 straight weeks!! Whooo! I think thats a record! :) Dont worry We'll get better!! GO MUSTANGS!!!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:20 am

hey Johnny - you a crzy sucka takin' that jibba jabba. I thought YOU was the foo' that wants us to drop down to D-II. How many times you want T to keep readin' that trash before I come up there and throw you helluva far!

:thumbupcool:
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:29 am

Hypocracy is the oxygen of college football these days, and TCU has been supplying the market with more oxygen then anyone this year. This last weeks cluster _____ has been a big story in the football world that is now pretty much over - and as our biggest rival it has had our atention. No big reason to fillibuster.
gostangs

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:49 pm

I disagree. The folks in the athletic dept should have TCU on their minds constantly. It is not ok to lose 5 in a row to TCU and be at opposite ends of the football spectrum. Until we catch them, SMU better worry about every facet of what they are doing that we aren't.
Hoop Fan

Postby scostas » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:09 pm

Johnny, you self-santimonious, pontificating fool.
scostas

Postby Johnny Rock » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:37 pm

I just want to thank everyone on this board for all of your positive feedback regarding all of my posts. I believe there are only a few of us who look at SMU athletics with a realistic view of the situation. Unfortunately, it is not always the most popular view with many of you. You cannot like me and that is fine. You can call me names and that is fine. However, you cannot honestly question my passion for SMU. As I have said before, SMU's policies regarding athletics do not allow the coaches to compete on a level playing field with most Division 1 schools. There is a reason we have not had success in the revenue sports. Why is SMU going to change its fortunes when it still has basically the same inept model? It is this simple....if SMU does not want to change its ways then we need to drop out of Division 1-A athletics. We can all agree that it is no fun for anyone (coaches, fans, players) to consistenly lose and be double digit underdogs every week to bottom tier teams. The alternative I want is for the administration to compete on a level playing field. I know many of you feel the same as me (i.e., empty stadiums). Aside from the administration (turner, board, copeland), I also have a problem with the posters on this board that are so quick to defend everything the athletic department does or says. We are not succeeding and changes need to be made (and do not tell me that changes are coming soon and that changes have been made...bull crap). Thus, you guys and gals can continue to call me names, but if you continue to ignore the reality of SMU athletics then you will be playing Southwest Texas State before you know it. Have a nice day.
Johnny Rock

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:44 pm

JR: If you're gonna talk about Div.1-AA football, at least know what you're talking about. Southwest Texas State changed its name this year to Texas State University - San Marcos (ugh!). And speaking of the Bobcats, check this out...

Texas State facing inquiry

By Christine Justice
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 12/03/2003 12:00 AM

Texas State has launched an internal investigation into possible NCAA rules violations stemming from an accusation that the Bobcats football team exceeded practice time limits, a school source said.
Dr. James Studer, vice president of student affairs, said Tuesday that an anonymous letter sparked the investigation. He said the inquiry began about three weeks ago.

"Any time we get any kind of allegation, regardless of where it comes from, we have to look into it," Studer said.

Tony Brubaker, the Bobcats' sports information director, said school officials decided to announce the investigation to quiet rumors around the campus and community.

"The biggest reason that we sent that out today was to make sure people understood there was not an NCAA investigation," Brubaker said.

Calls to Texas State athletic director Greg LaFleur were directed to Brubaker.

This marks the second investigation of the Texas State football program since Manny Matsakis took over as head coach a year ago.

In July, Texas State self-reported two secondary violations to the NCAA for contacting transfer quarterback Barrick Nealy before the legal recruiting period. The NCAA issued no public report on the matter. Sanctions levied for secondary violations are generally not made public, Brubaker said.

Matsakis replaced Bob DeBesse, who was fired after posting a 4-7 record in 2002. Texas State wrapped up its first campaign under Matsakis last month with a 4-8 record that included a 1-4 mark in Southland Conference play.

Matsakis was unavailable for comment on the latest inquiry. Brubaker said the Bobcats' coach was in Tennessee attending the funeral of volunteer assistant coach Ben Griffith, who was killed in a recent auto accident.

Studer said it is too early to speculate on how the internal probe may impact Matsakis' future at the school.

"This is only an allegation," Studer said.

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965

Return to Football