PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Admissions Policy... Did I miss it?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Admissions Policy... Did I miss it?

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:17 pm

Maybe I just spaced...
Weren't the Big Cheeses supposed to meet in November to review our admissions policies for athletes, possibly to make them a bit more realistic and on par with other schools?
What happened with that? What decisions were made??
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Re: Admissions Policy... Did I miss it?

Postby ponytalk » Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:30 pm

Where have you been. Yes you missed it. That is all we talked about for a good two weeks.
We don't have to wait till an athlete gets into the school anymore for them to make their visit.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Dec 05, 2000 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Now let's keep our fingers crossed and hope those gorgeous new facilities will pay off. At least now a prospect can come for a visit and see all we have to offer.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:26 pm

I'm ignorant Ponytalk, I know this and I apologize for this ignorance. But how lax are the restrictions now and realistically, is it that drastic of a difference. I hope so but I have heard that it is not that big of a deal. I hope I'm wrong but some clarity would help.

Postby ponytalk » Tue Dec 05, 2000 10:32 pm

Stanglover-
It is a nice difference. I will put the link to the press release that SMU issued so you can judge for yourself, but my take on it is this:
1) Recruits can now make official visits to SMU without having to become academically eligible first. So SMU can pay for the athlete to visit during FB season and earlier in the year. This is good because before athletes would just now be making official visits(yes after the season). Also, before an athlete would have to apply to the school etc and go through paper work and stuff, and they would not have to do that anywhere else.
2) Coaches can make recruiting schedules with athletes when they are Jr's, instead of waiting a while.
3) You will have to read this and figure out your opinion but my opinion on the entrance requirements is this: They were not lowered for athletes nor did they say we will make exceptions. But they said they would put thought into every athletes application and look beyond grades. So this to me means if we have 2-3 athletes that are borderline getting in, and they have stayed out of trouble, etc, we will let them in. It says something like if they are beleived to be able to graduate, or something like that.

I hope that answers your questions. I wouldn't mind answering more either. Here is that link: <A HREF="http://www.smu.edu/~newsinfo/releases/00132.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smu.edu/~newsinfo/releases/00132.html</A>
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:55 am

Ponytalk, thankyou very much for helping claify this. It for sure sounds like this could make a big difference and hopefully it will. Come on '01.

Long live the fat kids!!!

Return to Football