PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU TV

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU TV

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:23 pm

As I reported on the Basketball board last night, the quality of both video and audio presented by Baylor's Internet feed was outstanding. Since I have DSL, it was very close to TV quality, but my understanding is that it works satisfactorily with dial up. The audio provided is their radio broadcast team that was synched up perfectly.

Shawn Heilbron, the head of Marketing for SMU, told me this morning that SMU TV will make it's debut next year for both football and basketball. They got close to getting it done for this year, but didn't want to put it out there if it wasn't first class. It will be made available on a subscription basis just like Baylor.

Surprisingly, he told me that Rice already has it. I guess I will check that out when SMU plays in Houston.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: SMU TV

Postby Southland » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:36 pm

Originally posted by Diehard Pony:
As I reported on the Basketball board last night, the quality of both video and audio presented by Baylor's Internet feed was outstanding. Since I have DSL, it was very close to TV quality, but my understanding is that it works satisfactorily with dial up. The audio provided is their radio broadcast team that was synched up perfectly.

Shawn Heilbron, the head of Marketing for SMU, told me this morning that SMU TV will make it's debut next year for both football and basketball. They got close to getting it done for this year, but didn't want to put it out there if it wasn't first class. It will be made available on a subscription basis just like Baylor.

Surprisingly, he told me that Rice already has it. I guess I will check that out when SMU plays in Houston.
That is great news... please don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen for every game once it is implemented. Rights and permissions are very complicated for NCAA games. You need permission from both schools, both conferences and all broadcast partners within the medium.

Again, great news...
Southland
Varsity

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:50 pm

Indeed. Rockin good news. I suspect we'll be gouged (in true Mustang fashion), I doubt we'll see any $50 for the year like Baylor. But I am nontheless thrilled with this development. Excellent investigative work, Diehard.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxSMU » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:46 pm

Any idea where the cost will be?
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:00 pm

Speaking of broadcast rights, get this: last night (Wednesday, Dec. 5) the University of Houston Cougars basketball team hosted cross-town rivals, the Rice Owls at Hoffheinz Pavilion on the UH campus. The game was broadcast on TWO Houston radio stations! One, the flagship station for the Coogs and the other, the flagship station for the Owls! And it wasn't the same broadcast teams...separate broadcasting teams from each station. If you didn't like what one set of announcers was saying, you could flip over to the other one. Only in Houston... :wacko:

<small>[ 12-04-2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:56 pm

Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
Speaking of broadcast rights, get this: last night (Wednesday, Dec. 5) the University of Houston Cougars basketball team hosted cross-town rivals, the Rice Owls at Hoffheinz Pavilion on the UH campus. The game was broadcast on TWO Houston radio stations! One, the flagship station for the Coogs and the other, the flagship station for the Owls! And it wasn't the same broadcast teams...separate broadcasting teams from each station. If you didn't like what one set of announcers was saying, you could flip over to the other one. Only in Houston... :wacko:
Not really, you could do the same thing in D/FW during the SMU-TCU game. I listened to the SMU broadcast on the ticket and caught some of the action on 103.3ESPN. It is actually very, very common.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:02 pm

Originally posted by CoxSMU:
Any idea where the cost will be?
I got the idea from Shawn that it might be priced similar to Baylor ($50 per season; $6.95 for a single event), but don't hold me or Shawn to it.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby bubba pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:59 pm

here is the Rice and U of H site

http://www.maxvusports.tv/
bubba pony
Heisman

Return to Football