PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BS- Flanigan Not Even Being Interviewed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BS- Flanigan Not Even Being Interviewed

Postby woodsnwater » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:37 am

:hmm:
woodsnwater
Recruit

Re: BS- Flanigan Not Even Being Interviewed

Postby Dooby » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:51 am

basis for this would be....?

Haven't seen an article on the subject. If you have info you want to share, I suggest you spill it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am

I would sure like to see Ramon have a chance to show what he can do for SMU coaching. I have been following him for years and think he should be asked to come talk to Bennett and share what he sees as the future to SMU football.

Mr. Bennett - Call Ramon
Tradition
Excitement
HONOR
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:13 am

I like Ramon too, but you suckas are WHACK about this.

You say give the man (Bennett) a chance - then want to force him to take your peeps over his own. Let the man hire his OWN staff and play with HIS players - then judge him.

There is plenty of time for a Ramon homecoming to SMU - this guy is the real deal and will be coaching for a while. This is the time to back the coach we have and get out of his way.
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby cowboypony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:43 am

Bring him in as an offensive position coach? Yes.
Bring him in as the Offensive Coordinator? No.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby woodsnwater » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:49 am

Yea your right, he has only help take a once horrible UNT team to three straight bowl games, has the nations leading scorer and rusher, 1st team all-conference QB and recruited one of the best defensive lineman in the country in Brannon Kennedy- a kid SMU passed on. We would not want that here.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby woodsnwater » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:51 am

He at least desrves an interview, even if he is not hired.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby cowboypony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:55 am

Read my post. That's not what I said. Also, take a look a little deeper and you'll realize that Ramon had little to do with the development of the offense at UNT. SMU is in dire need of having an offensive system developed and implemented. We must hire an OC who has done that. Nothing against Ramon, as I've previously stated, but he would be a huge risk to bring in as an OC at this time. SMU is at a very critical point and this hire is crucial.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby woodsnwater » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:03 am

cowboy,
you have to agee he at least deserves an interview. Ramon calls the plays at UNT, therefore I don't see how you can say he is not responsible for any success on the field and individual accolades of his players. Also, who would be better at developing an offense suited around a mobile Chris Phillips. The situation at SMU was critical two years ago. I believe in what Bennett is doing, I just think this is a great opportunity. I guess we can agree to disagree.
woodsnwater
Recruit

Postby BUS » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:11 am

Call him means for an interview.. I TOTALLY back up Coach Bennett. It is his choice but Ramon is deserving in my eyes.
George S. Simons
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby cowboypony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:17 am

Woods,

I'm not saying he didn't have "anything to do with UNT's offensive success." I'm also not saying he shouldn't be considered for part of this staff. In fact, I'd love to see him and potentially more SMU people on this staff. However, Texas got into this mentality for over 20 years of hiring it's own and the results were not too impressive.

What I am saying is that we need to create, develop and implement an offense at SMU. We're like a toddler learning how to walk. Im my opinion, what we need is someone who has proven that he can (and has) taken total control of an offense and turned it into somethign highly productive. Whoever Bennett hire must have this experience on his resume. Ramon, on the other hand, could be a tremendous addition to our staff and then he can continue to grow over the next several years - perhaps into the OC position as you suggest.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:50 pm

I have to repeat Dooby's question. What source is being referenced to come to the conclusion that Ramon is not being considered?? There hasn't been anything in the DMN in that regard.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby PortlandPonys » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:59 pm

Flanigan's name has been mentioned for the head Coaching position at Texas Southern.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:33 am

I love Flanigan...but he is not what SMU needs right now -- a VETERAN proven O.C. that can also recruit.

Flanigan has done some nice things there, but let's face it, the UNT offense is not anything special. If UNT's offense were close to their defense, they'd be a mid-level Big12 team. But they are not.

I like the Gary Nord-type.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:50 pm

I would agree that a veteran OC is the way to go. Someone who can show his resume to prospective players and their parents and say "look at what I've done, look at who I've coached." Someone who has generated NAME players, not just guys at small colleges who put up fat numbers against questionable competition.

And I still like the idea of raiding a C-USA opponent to take its QB coach. Nothing like making a little noise on our entry into C-USA.
Hoofprint
All-American

Next

Return to Football