PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Turner Gill - OC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Turner Gill - OC?

Postby smudad » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:19 pm

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/uwire/120203aad.html

I know it's already been discusssed. However, here's an article on my favorite for the OC job.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Re: Turner Gill - OC?

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:17 pm

Personally, I'd like to see it. I remember Coach Gill from his first go-round at SMU, and I think he'd do a terrific job. Alas, the story suggests he has no interest in leaving Lincoln.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:49 am

Originally posted by Horseshoe:
Personally, I'd like to see it. I remember Coach Gill from his first go-round at SMU, and I think he'd do a terrific job. Alas, the story suggests he has no interest in leaving Lincoln.
Yeah, he's got a shot at the NEB head coaching job in 2032.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:19 pm

I stayed up last night and watched Boise State whip Hawaii (somewhere I the distance I could swear I heard Gary Patterson saying "Holy #&%@ - that GMAC Bowl might not have been such a bad option after all.")

Anyway, the announcers were saying that the Idaho papers were full of columns speculating that Boise State head coach Dan Hawkins was on the short list for Nebraska's job.

Now the relevance to us is this: Say you're Turner Gill. You played (and played very well) at Nebraska. You've put in several years as the dutiful assistant coach, both at Nebraska and at SMU (as a G.A., if I recall). You're a homegrown Husker. You're viewed as one of the really bright young coaches out there, and reportedly a very strong recruiter. If you're Gill and Nebraska brings in Hawkins, is that a slap in the face? It's one thing if they bring in a NAME coach -- Walt Harris, Steve Spurrier (of course it won't happen, but it's been speculated), the defensive coordinator (forget his name) with Tampa Bay, who played and coached at Nebraska -- that's one thing. But with all due respect to Hawkins, he's been a head coach for all of three years, and that's in relative obscurity up there in Idaho and coaching in a league that doesn't get as much respect as perhaps it deserves, but still isn't exactly the SEC or ACC or Big 10 or Big 12.

If I'm Turner Gill, and they hire Hawkins -- who I think is a very good coach -- and I don't even get an interview, I'm furious. And I'm going after another job.
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Football