PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cotton Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cotton Bowl

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:20 pm

In the Cotton Bowl
Oklahoma State vs Ole Miss

And
What the freak with the National Championship?!?!

LSU VS OKLAHOMA?!?! What the heck!! USC robbed!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cotton Bowl

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:41 pm

LSU deserves it more than anyone...It should be USC versus LSU...but the system is the system(for now).

I'll be in New Orleans for this one. I'm from Louisiana and spent two semesters at LSU....So lets Geaux Tigers!
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangSally » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:43 pm

This whole system has been [deleted] since day one and now it's finally starting to get some flak for it. It's so easy to point to the computer and say "well these are the official rankings" but who's to say the computer formulas are fair. USC lost one game in triple OT on a missed field goal. OU didn't even win its conference in a blowout loss to K-State but still gets to play in the national championship? This is a load of crap. On top of all that, Miami gets to play FSU for the second time this season, yeah that's a matchup the fans outside of FL will be dying to see. ABC really shot themselves in the foot with this one.

My family is from Miami and my sister is a student at FSU, so I will probably go to the Orange Bowl game. I am thinking of making a sign that says:

A nother
B owl
C ontroversy

Think that will make it onto the broadcast? :cool:
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:46 pm

Two three-loss teams (OSU and Ole Miss) that are not even prestige programs in their own conferences...an inimpressive 2004 Cotton Bowl.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:49 pm

The system DEFINITELY needs a lot of work. LSU would have been in whether the old system or the BCS had been used...USC is the one that got robbed.....
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby i10pony » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:49 pm

Don't worry if USC beats Michigan there will be a split national championship.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:51 pm

Possibly....Actually most likely. But, if LSU beats OU, LSU and USC are so close that more voters could switch their votes from USC to LSU....
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby CoxSMU » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:52 pm

I think Michigan is going to whoop USC. Michigan is on a role right now..
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:59 pm

The biggest loser in the whole situation is the cities that hold the bowls. Hotel, air, and rental car revenue is going to be much lower than expected for the bowl sites this year. You have USC, LSU, and Miami all staying home with few fans needed to travel. Plus Ohio State's fans went to Phoenix last year as well. Doubt as many will show this year to play KSU.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby MustangSally » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:13 pm

Good Point Damone! Yeah take the Orange Bowl for example, Miami fans travel all of 15 miles and most FSU fans can make the bowl a day trip, especially all the ones who already live in South Florida (like my fam for example). The city of Miami won't make near as much money as they did last year when 60,000+ Iowa and USC fans came to town, ate at all the restaurants, and did all the touristy stuff. There were multiple articles in the Miami Herald and Palm Beach Post last year about how everywhere you went (malls, restaurants, beaches) there were Iowa fans. This year the city won't even sniff at the money those people brought in. Same will go for LSU, and USC like you mentioned.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:19 pm

And I wonder if the city of Ft. Worth is upset that TCU is staying at home. Sure, it will be a sellout, but that is nothing compaired to all the extra revenue that would have been brought in by a traveling team. Hotels, restruants, the Zoo.....
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Return to Football