PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh McCown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Josh McCown

Postby Big Cat » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:02 pm

My bad. I forgot sports websites are THE INFORMATIONS SOURCE...It is called building towards the future...
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:15 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
go to any Cardinal site-HE DID NOT BEAT OUT JEFF BLAKE-they simply wanted to see how much they wasted on a second round pick last year because with McCown at QB next week(a certain loss) they've got the Inside Track for the Number 1 pick in the NFL Draft. I guarantee you will find no site that suggests McCown beat out Jeff Blake.
Stallion's actually half right. McGinnis was quoted in an ESPN Article
I think it is time for [McCown] to get prepared and let him start a ballgame," McGinnis said. "Let's see what he can do."

He never beat him out, they just wanted to see what he can do.

However, he is incorrect in calling him a 2nd round pick. He was actually a 3rd round pick. Just a small item but knowing how Stallion is a stickler for facts, I just wanted to clarify that.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:32 am

Originally posted by Big Cat:
Stallion, you are so full of **** it is amazing. I have never disagreed with much that you have said in the past, put to say he did not earn his current position is just stupid. NFL teams don't hand starting jobs to just anyone, especially not at the qb position. You think he started his last game, maybe so. I personally think you are wrong. He through a couple of interceptions this year...Look at David Carr...He is trowing them left and right, and they are the same age.

You clearly don't know half as much about football as I thought you did. Why can't you just be happy for the kid?
Watch it with those David Carr comparisons. Stallion's going to tell you it doesn't matter if they throw the same number of picks because Carr had a higher rating on Rivals.com or Insiders.com. :laugh:

Originally posted by Mustang35, or whatever your name is:
Always hated the NFL always will!
You beat us down us with your Longview updates, you can tolerate a little NFL talk, right? Especially when it involves a former Mustang QB?

(Psssst: Check that signature on your posts. It's "entrust" .... not "untrust.")

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: SMUguy ]</small>
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Big Cat » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:30 am

Ok, let me see if I understand this. Because he threw two interceptions last week (which is wrong, he threw 0) and because he fumbled the ball once and was sacked 8 times, that is evidence that he is a horrible QB?

How many times did David Carr get sacked last season? A lot.

The reason I use David Carr as a basis of comparison is because they are in very similar situations. They are both 24 years old playing on young or ****ty teams. They both lack talent and / or experience around them, especially where it matters. They both have a lot of growing up to do. Do you have any idea how talented Josh McCown is? H

Josh's future is not yet determined. Why don't you pull for the kid who gave SMU his all? He left SMU because he believed he had a chance to go to the NFL, and he did not feel that he was going to get it here. I have no idea why he did not pan out at SMU. I am not blaming the coach or the kid. I simply don't know.

Why don't you show some class and pull for the kid to succeed?
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby Ikus » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:03 pm

Originally posted by Big Cat:
Ok, let me see if I understand this. Because he threw two interceptions last week (which is wrong, he threw 0) and because he fumbled the ball once and was sacked 8 times, that is evidence that he is a horrible QB?

How many times did David Carr get sacked last season? A lot.

The reason I use David Carr as a basis of comparison is because they are in very similar situations. They are both 24 years old playing on young or ****ty teams. They both lack talent and / or experience around them, especially where it matters. They both have a lot of growing up to do. Do you have any idea how talented Josh McCown is? H

Josh's future is not yet determined. Why don't you pull for the kid who gave SMU his all? He left SMU because he believed he had a chance to go to the NFL, and he did not feel that he was going to get it here. I have no idea why he did not pan out at SMU. I am not blaming the coach or the kid. I simply don't know.

Why don't you show some class and pull for the kid to succeed?
Good points, one and all. Great post, Big Cat!
Ikus
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:10 pm

Josh will be one of 50 NFL players teaching football fundamentals to kids at the NFL Alumni Super Bowl XXXVIII Youth Clinic this Saturday. Josh, Brock Huard, Shaun King and Warren Moon will be the four QBs there.
:whistling:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:14 am

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green released Jeff Blake on Wednesday, saying Josh McCown showed in three starts at the end of last season that he was the team's quarterback of the future.

Green refused to discuss Blake's shortcomings and said the decision had more to do with McCown's potential.

``It's about Josh being ready in his third year to be the starting quarterback,'' Green said. ``I think that when you draft a player, you expect that player to play. Some play the first year, some play the second year. They better start playing by the third year.''

The switch will have no bearing on whether the Cardinals draft a quarterback in April, when they will have the No. 3 pick overall, Green said.

``You don't try to outsmart yourself. You take the best player on the board, because you're always going to get a great player.'' Green said. ``Whether that player is a quarterback or not is irrelevant; you can never have too many good players. And no matter who comes in -- whether it's an eight-year veteran or a 22-year-old rookie -- Josh McCown knows that they want his job.''

But Green reiterated that any newcomer would arrive as McCown's backup.

Green had offensive coordinator Alex Wood deliver the news to Blake and said he had no idea whether the development surprised the 12-year veteran.

``I'm sure if a player really wanted to be here he'd hope that it would work out,'' Green said. ``But we have to be realistic. The first thing I said when I stood up here is that we will always take a realistic look at our talent and the decision we have to make according to that talent. We also said we think we have the talent on this team to be good, but we're going to have to really work to bring it out of them.''
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:29 am

Here in the home town of Josh McCown we hardly even noticedu that Josh is impressing other people at long last because we knew it all along. The other reason we might not have notices is that our 8 page local newspaper covers the high school sports and that's about all. When you live in a town of 14K you sometimes miss out on things. Oh, well, we don' have to drive on the Central Expressway.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football