PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Josh McCown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Josh McCown

Postby PonyTales » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:05 am

The old Pony QB is getting the start this weekend for the Cardinals. Good luck, Josh!
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Josh McCown

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:40 am

Why would any SMU fan wish that [deleted] good luck. He left our school. He is a quitter in my book. I hope he gets cut from the team.
Johnny Rock

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:40 am

Why would any SMU fan wish that [deleted] good luck. He left our school. He is a quitter in my book. I hope he gets cut from the team.
Johnny Rock

Postby EmeraldCityPony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:23 am

The only [deleted] here is you. Would you stay at your job if you had to endure miserable working conditions, or would you move to a job at a company where your career can flourish? Most people would, but I guess that would make them quitters. Nothing that comes out of your mouth (keyboard) has any trace of intelligence to it.

If you've ever met Josh, which I'm sure you haven't, you would take back those words.

Good luck, Josh!
It's a crappy job but someone's gotta do it.
EmeraldCityPony
All-American

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:30 am

What do you mean by poor working conditions?
Johnny Rock

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:47 am

I'd call him a quitter too-and I guarantee you the only reason he is getting the start is because he done ZERO in two years, they are out of the playoffs and they need to decide whether they should cut him at the end of the season. He'll be looking for another job next year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby McAndless » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:26 am

Josh left because he was told immediately following his last game here that he would go into his senior season a backup to Kelan Luker. If you told me I was backing Luker up, I would have probably quit, too.

But to wish a kid back luck or to call his future out seems to be envious. It's not his fault the Cardinals could be the worst organization in America and grabbed him in the 3rd round, thus allowing him to deposit a very attractive check once a week.

I won't speculate on how long Josh will play in the NFL, I'm just glad he is getting a shot to play. I hope he does well.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:31 am

gee I hope he didn't get his wuddle fewings hurt. He chose to quit and run. Happens every year-some people are quitters and others like Major Applewhite and Quincy Carter have the strength of character to overcome. Mccown didn't and chose to run in the face of competition from the Immortal Kelan Luker. Geez!
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby McAndless » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:51 am

I don't mind a comparison to applicable QB's, but don't ever try to tell me the QB for the Dallas Cowboys with his contract, or a kid at UT where he is worshipped had such great strength of character to overcome anything except ego.

Josh was playing quarterback for a bad team when his time ran out. Sure he could have sit here and had the strength of character to sit at 3rd team, but he was proactive and adamant about a chance to continue his career, and he knew it wasn't happening here.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:55 am

He left because Cavan could never make up his mind who to play, and kept yanking Josh out of the games. Not exactly a confidence builder.

<small>[ 12-09-2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: PlanoStang ]</small>
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Johnny Rock » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:59 am

I am an SMU fan first. Josh left his teammates. End of story. It worked out well for him. Great. I do not support people that leave SMU. Keylan Kincade could have pulled a 'Josh' and left his teammates, but he chose to stay and compete with his teammates and for SMU. Keylon Kincade is a winner in my book. Josh is not. Josh had a lot of talent. But he also threw a lot of interceptions. But I guess that was not his fault. This is a dead issue. Let's focus on recruiting and getting SMU's model changed. Go Mustangs!
Johnny Rock

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:59 am

I only have one beef with the whole situation regarding McCown. During the Arizona-SF game this past weekend – the commentators (can’t remember who they were) basically said the following . . .

“What a great story – this Josh McCown. He was the starting QB at SMU and then decided that he wanted to play for a winner and moved to AA ball.”

Doesn’t really sound like what I remember happening.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RedRiverPony » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:20 pm

My recollection is that any time he threw an incomplete pass - even if it was dropped, rather than an errant throw - he got pulled. Part of playing quarterback is a level of confidence, and his was destroyed. I don't blame him for bolting. If he had dreams of playing in the NFL, he had to. Chris Sanders also bolted and made it to the NFL (as a practice squad guy, but he made it.) Seems to me he was not the problem, the way he was used was the problem. I hope McCown lights it up this weekend.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:33 pm

to be accurate McClown threw something like 7-8 ints and a couple of fumbles in two games-then he got benched. You people claimed that Cavan was an idiot for pulling his QB. So I guess that makes Bennett an ....too because he did the exact same thing-both last year and this year. QBs that turn the ball over 8-9 times in 2 games are pulled at every level of Football. If the QB isn't man enough to deal with it-then it probably was best for him to become "The Greatest QB in Sam Houston St. History" And If I hear one more person mention the "Great Pro Career of Chris Sanders" I'm going off on him too. Chris sanders is a slow, short high school All-Star who couldn't make it in Division 1A, the NFL, the CFL, The Finish Football League or any other league. Both these guys were given every opportunity to perform and they SUCKED and ran to play Small College Football once they had competition.

<small>[ 12-09-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>

Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:42 pm

You'd think a current NFL STARTER would have been good enough for lowly SMU, Stal. Here's one for you. Josh McCown could have started at Oklahoma. How funny then that according to pundits like you he wasn't talented enough for talent deficient SMU.

Admit that coaching matters Stal before you hurt yourself.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Next

Return to Football