PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Great article: "BCS disaster"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Great article: "BCS disaster"

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:21 am

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031209/OPINION01/112090251/-1/OPINION

need i say more.......

BCS disaster

The complicated details really don't matter. One creative sportswriter described the Bowl Championship System mess with just the right touch of sarcasm: "Ever notice how you can never find a computer virus when you most need one?" NCAA Division I college football desperately needed one Sunday evening.

See how we note Division I. College football's smaller schools somehow manage to squeeze in playoff tournaments in between taxing finals and rigorous class schedules just like every other NCAA sport. But the big-time schools bought off by BCS big bucks don't. Instead, Division I now has two national championship games in early January because university presidents refuse to create a playoff system.

And obviously, the BCS computer didn't witness formerly No. 1 ranked Oklahoma's embarrassing 28-point loss to Kansas State in the Big 12 champion game Saturday night. Oklahoma will still play for the tainted BCS "national championship" on Jan. 4 in the Sugar Bowl. That will be three days after top-ranked Southern Cal — No. 1 in the AP and USA Today-ESPN polls — battles for the more legitimate national championship in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 against Michigan.

We won't go into the various variables in why this fouled-up system is cheating college football fans. It's too obvious. We'll leave it here: The two hottest and best Division I football teams are playing in the Rose Bowl on New Years Day.

The BCS isn't working.

Last changed: December 08. 2003 9:36AM :laugh:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football