PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Colby Freeman transferring from A&M

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Colby Freeman transferring from A&M

Postby Houston Pony » Wed Dec 06, 2000 8:52 pm

He'd be a good quarterback for us, but he's said he's going to Abilene Christian to sit out a year. Anybody know if our coaches have tried to get in touch with him?
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Colby Freeman transferring from A&M

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Dec 07, 2000 5:31 am

Why is he goint to sit out a year if he is going to Abelien Christian? I thought that was a D-1aa school, which does not require an athlete to sit out a year?

He would indeed be a hell of a pickup for the stangs. Do you know where he is from?
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby smudad » Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:07 am

This from the TAMU page:

'Colby Freeman to Transfer
For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, December 6, 2000

COLLEGE STATION, Texas– One of Texas A&M's backup quarterbacks, redshirt freshman Colby Freeman, has announced plans to transfer to Abilene Christian University.

"Colby Freeman is a tremendous young man from a great family," Aggie Head Coach R.C. Slocum said. "We hate to see Colby leave, but I respect his wishes to get more playing time. We started the year with a three-way quarterback battle between Colby, Vance Smith and Mark Farris. Mark got the starting nod and took the ball and had a record-breaking season for us which limited Colby's playing time. I wish Colby well with this move."

"This is simply a situation where I would like to have more playing time," Freeman said. "I've been a competitor all of my life. I thought the competition between Mark, Vance and myself made me a better quarterback. I've learned a lot from Coach (Ray) Dorr and Coach (Steve) Kragthorpe. Those guys have been great and I wish them all the best."

"Texas A&M is a great school and I've enjoyed my time here, but I think it is in my best interest to move on," Freeman added. "Overnight, I went from being part of the Aggie family to being the biggest Aggie fan outside of that family. I wish the coaches and team all the best."

Freeman (6-2, 214) was a redshirt freshman from Brownwood High School. He played in nine games and completed 2-of-3 passes for 26 yards. He rushed nine times for 53 net yards and scored two touchdowns.'

-aTm-
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby smudad » Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:17 am

Folks that played against him in HS say he HAD a strong but not terribly accurate arm due primarily to the fact that Brownwood was a running team. He's supposed to be a very good runner. I think they had hoped he would prove to be a Bucky Richardson type. He is real Rah! Rah! type, which is what RC likes. Randy McCown beat out Brandon Stewart with the same type credentials. He'd certainly have to sit out a year with us.

His statement is pretty classy. Like Josh McCown and SMU, I would rather see him get his A&M degree than get some playing time and a degree that doesn't mean as much. Although, ACU is the home of Dr. Gerald Turner and Bobby Morrow - two great alums.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Dec 07, 2000 1:08 pm

I saw him play once in high school as well, and didn't quite understand why he was on the national recruiting lists. Good size, and a pretty good runner, but brownwood's passing attack was little to be desired. Plus, he seemed like a baby to me, whining on the sidelines and such.

But that's just my opinion.

And he doesn't have to sit out a year at ACU... he just has to disappear for three.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Hotel California » Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:07 pm

Good point Jettison. I cannot believe that he would want to transfer to a D-1aa school. That is really surprising. I wish we could get him in an SMU uniform
Hotel California
Recruit

Return to Football