PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the great Jerry Levias on today's SMU...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

the great Jerry Levias on today's SMU...

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:54 pm

In todays DMN, Levias says: "Its a shame what SMU has become. If Jim Copeland and the president of the university will reach out to former players, I know we can turn it around. We can no longer blame the death penalty as an excuse for not having a good program." WOW. This quote is full of strong implications. First, it is obvious that Levias is a Mustang supporter and cares about the program. The second is, there is still a feeling that SMU has not reached out to ex-players. And finally, someone in the public eye is actually saying that the DP can no longer be a crutch and its time to compete.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: the great Jerry Levias on today's SMU...

Postby Phil Fan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:03 pm

Coach Bennett realized that when he took over last year. He's begun the process of bringing former players back into the fold. Bob Stoops said that bringing back former OU players had a huge effect on players -- those on the OU roster and those he was trying to recruit. There's no reason we shouldn't be doing the same thing.

Players like Jerry LeVias, Raymond Berry, Eric Dickerson, Reggie Dupard, Michael Carter, Jerry Ball, etc. -- even the new guys like Rhinehart and Mitchell -- need to be visible around the program.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:26 pm

The article also stated that both LeVias and Fry still follow SMU and "want to see a united front, including reaching out to former lettermen, in shaping the direction of the program."

Since Fry's wife won't let him get back into coaching, maybe there is a way to get him more involved with SMU athletics again in a way his wife could live with that would help our football program. Perhaps an elder statesman type position.

<small>[ 12-10-2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: PK ]</small>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:28 pm

I knew Bennett had talked about that when he took over and maybe its easier said than done. I wonder if Levias was talking about himself or speaking for the group of ex players. If SMU had Jerry Levias Day this year and the man still doesnt feel connected, something is wrong with that. I said back then that his jersey should be retired and I think its complete bunk that the criteria set by some committee is NFL Hall of Fame.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:40 pm

If I'm Jim Copeland, that comment from Levias at least warrants a phone call. O.K., Jerry...what exactly did you mean by that comment? What exactly would you propose as to how SMU can get former players more involved? I don't think NCAA rules allow them to be any more involvement in recruiting than any other alum not employed by the school. Wouldn't that statement leave you wondering what he has in mind? Somebody help me here. Aside from the obvious, i.e., making sure as many of these guys as possible are involved in Mustang Club fund raisers (golf tourneys, etc...) what am I missing?
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:56 pm

good question CP, I hope Mr. Copeland does call him. One idea might be just inviting them to campus periodically so that they can meet recruits and help sell them on the University. There is no rule against recruits shaking an alums hand on an offical visit is there? It would be pretty powerful for Coach Bennett to say, "Donald Massey, meet Jerry Levias." or "Vincent Chase, meet Forrest Gregg". Hey, you gotta use everything you have available. I guarantee you that Oklahoma finds a way for Barry Switzer to meet recruits for example.
Hoop Fan

Postby PK » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:57 pm

Perhaps he is talking about showing up at practices or in the locker room prior to a game to help motivate the team and show them they are more than just todays team, but a part of a long line of football players committed to the University who care about the traditions and pride, etc.

How are the OU ex-players helping Stoops' program?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Football