PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Solution to 2 Problems

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Solution to 2 Problems

Postby yesindeedydoody » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:30 am

The way I see it we need some wins and we need a crowd (15k average). Why don't we schedule Grambling? I know they are Div. 1-AA but we aren't going "Bowling" playing the teams we are currently playing. Have Grambling bring their band and have a Battle of the Bands after the game.

With any luck we might get a win, and with some marketing we should get a crowd just to watch the band.
yesindeedydoody
Recruit

Re: The Solution to 2 Problems

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:46 am

we played them years ago and drew a good crowd to Texas Stadium in the Dicker-James era. As for scheduling a I-AA opponent, unless they changed the rule, you are allowed one game every 4 yrs against a I-AA opponent and that game can count against the 6 wins required to go "bowling". SMU doesn't need to worry about 6 wins, however, because until we show we can bring 5k of more on the road, no bowl is going to be interested in a 6 win SMU team.

I agree Grambling would help our attendance woes. There aren't may I-AA programs you can say that about. They certainly helped San Jose last year and the Spartans are already talking about trying to get them to make a return trip.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:05 pm

I'd be there in a heartbeat. And that is one game where you wouldn't see a soul leave at halftime.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 pm

I know that every year Grambling and Prairie View A&M do a battle of the bands at the Cotton Bowl during the state fair. I was going to go this year to see the bands except that SMU had a home game that day. I'm hoping to be able to go this next year. Do you think they would come to DFW again to play in a smaller stadium?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby carlos » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:28 pm

Leave the schedule alone! Let's be 2-9 next year and then our current staff is 5-31. What does that mean? A new staff I would presume. Enough said.
carlos

Postby enlightn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:31 pm

I have heard that we are trying to drop OSU next year in order to pick up Grambling.
enlightn

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:35 pm

Rookie, indeed.
Bergermeister

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:59 pm

I wouldn't count on Grambling's band too much. When we played them at Texas Stadium in the DickerJames era, the Band couldn't find the stadium and didn't show up until the halftime was almost over! That was the game that Grambling bought their "Tall Trees of Terror", as they called their line, to play our Mustangs and we ran them off the field.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:04 pm

As much as I love the Mustang Band and as good as they are, sorry guys and dolls, the Grambling band is better. You might check out the movie "Drumline", if it came to a real battle, our drumline would have to be ready for a staredown contest.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby couch 'em » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm

Just wondering who has actually seen the grambling band in person....
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby yesindeedydoody » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:06 pm

I've seen them 3 times, the first time in '77 they performed at halftime in the Cotton Bowl, I don't remember who we played, but the Grambling
Band was there.
Then when they barely showed up.
But the best time was in Shreveport. And the Mustang Band blew the bleachers off the stadium playing Barbara Ann :thumbupcool:
yesindeedydoody
Recruit

Return to Football