PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Future Bowl Eligibility = 50% Graduation Rate?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Future Bowl Eligibility = 50% Graduation Rate?

Postby Water Pony » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:31 pm

What is your opinion of a mimimum graduation rate of 50% to go to a Bowl?

Only two bowls this year would match qualifying schools which meet this standard: Houston (Navy and Texas Tech and Capital One (Orlando) Purdue and Georgia. Appeals to me. :smart:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20031212173109990002
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Future Bowl Eligibility = 50% Graduation Rate?

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:53 pm

Horrible. I could care less if they graduate. Two bowl games!! Not exactly an exciting bowl season. And what are you going to base it on? The previous year? And punish the guys that are currently working on their degree? Is this actually being proposed?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:09 pm

I think its a great idea-I'm all for SMU supporting stricter NCAA requirements as long as we aren't the only ones required to follow them.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:31 pm

Ditto. I'm all for NCAA reform, but not slitting our own wrists.
Hoop Fan

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:09 pm

Yo, Stallion, thanks for standing up for standards. To our credit, SMU has tried to be academically creditable. But as you have often said, to be competitive SMU must use the same standards as the other schools, or be at a disadvantage. Rather than sink to a lower level, let's get the NCAA to lead the way with a 50% graduation rate. One thing about it, our basketball team has been sensational in the classroom and sometimes on the court. College sports can be done with academic integrity and athletic proficiency. Let's aahve it both ways.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:10 pm

Yo, Stallion, thanks for standing up for standards. To our credit, SMU has tried to be academically creditable. But as you have often said, to be competitive SMU must use the same standards as the other schools, or be at a disadvantage. Rather than sink to a lower level, let's get the NCAA to lead the way with a 50% graduation rate. One thing about it, our basketball team has been sensational in the classroom and sometimes on the court. College sports can be done with academic integrity and athletic proficiency. Let's aahve it both ways.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:00 pm

I absolutely agree with Stallion. If we compromise and lower our standards, we are playing everyone else's game, which we will lose in a race with BCS schools with their size. But, if we bring them to stronger academic standards, we begin to complete on more of a level playing field Vs the schools who will out spend us.

Mid-Majors would be able to offer a credible competitive alternative to the state schools. Half of the schools in bowls this year would need to improve to our standards, not the other way around. I like it. :thumbupcool:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Fresh » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:16 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
I think its a great idea-I'm all for SMU supporting stricter NCAA requirements as long as we aren't the only ones required to follow them.
Preach on, Stallion. You hit the nail on the head there.
Fresh
Varsity

Return to Football