PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TV Scouting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TV Scouting

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:21 am

just a reminder you can judge for yourself as to whether Todd Dodge should be a contender for the SMU Offensive Coordinator by watching the 5A High School State Championship between Katy and Southlake Carroll on Fox Southwest (website says 12:00 noon.) Also, in the second game of the doubleheader at about 4:00 p.m. catch SMU commit Wilton McCray as his LaMargue team battles Denton Ryan in the 4A Championship.

<small>[ 12-18-2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TV Scouting

Postby OldPony » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:35 am

No HS Coaches- PLEASE
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:59 am

It does not matter who is calling the plays or who is the head coach. Unless SMU changes its athletic model to allow the coaches to recruit and compete in Division 1-A, we will always be a step behind. I am sorry to put a damper on your debate on who the OC should be but remember I speak truths and realities. Unfortunely, many of you are blind and ignorant to my message. I usually have the last laughs on Saturdays. So whether it is Todd Dodge, Bob Stoops, or Jerry Seinfeld, SMU still will have inferior talent on the field and our competition will beat us with JUCO recruits and high school players that the SMU coaches could not even recruit due to the inept policies of the administration. Merry Christmas to all SMU fans except for the morons who make the decisions and policies in the athletic program.
Johnny Rock

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:08 am

Ok, you can quit posting then. Come back on board when we are good. Since you don't think we ever will be, then TTFN.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:52 am

Is this today or tomorrow or saturday?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby OldPony » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:04 pm

No Johnny- It does matter who is coaching. Why do you think some coaches get big money and others don't. While you are correct about the limitations placed on recruiting needing to be lifted, the coin has 2 sides. Did all the talent at OU show up when Stoops got there? No but Blake couldn't coach so it didn't matter what the talent was. The message to admin is to hire good coaches and get out of their way by letting them recruit on an even field with those who run clean programs. This is not a single issue problem despite your rants.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:36 pm

Old Pony. We actually agree, so all of the posters that disparage me over my posts are also disparging you as well. Thus, I make a plea to all of my ememies (the posters who work in the athletic department) to quit insulting the infamous Johnny Rock because you are also insulting Old Pony and I am sure he is a great guy that deserves better. Your John Blake/OU/Bob Stoops exmaple proves a good point that once you get talent then coaching becomes very important. However, what keeps me up at night is that SMU could very well and easily get better players and win big, if they would allow the coaches to recruit. It is not fair to the current coaching staff, and Mike Cavan for that matter, to judge them on the Xs and Os when they are unable to recruit by the same rules as their competition. Even Tulsa went out and got several JUCOs last year and it was a big reason that they had so much success. I do not know how many more years of this insanity my heart can take. I want to see a winner at SMU and I want to see it now! Merry Christmas everyone!
Johnny Rock

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:46 pm

And happy friggin new year to you, too.
gostangs

Postby EdWiz » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:30 pm

Yeah, Tulsa was good this year b/c they got so, so much talent. JohnnyRock you are an idiot.
EdWiz

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:43 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. They did get a few JUCO players that started for them. I guarantee you that if we had a few JUCO players on the team that could have started last season then a few of those close games could have gone the other way. But you keep on living your dream pal because that it what it is....pull your head out of your [deleted] and smell the coffee. 0 wins last season and one winning season since the DP speaks for itself. You are wrong and you can kiss it.
Johnny Rock

Postby McAndless » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:13 pm

EdWiz got punked!

Seriously Johnny Rock, your incessant posts of our model and the changes that need to be made don't have to show up on every post.

Coaches matter, and in two seasons, many coaches have done much more than your boyfriend Bennett. Tulsa and Kragthorpe happens to be one of those places.

Of course some changes need to be made to the restrictions and blah blah blah, but Copeland hasn't exactly made the best of hires. The head football coach, and basketball, for that matter, at SMU require more ingenuity, creativity, sales attitude, and ability to reach more recruits than powerhouse schools. In other words, find the kids with talent, but also will attend class, fight upwards to turn it around, and be a student-athlete first. Personally, I don't know if Bennett is that coach. Coaching matters.
McAndless
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:42 pm

Originally posted by Mike Damone:
Is this today or tomorrow or saturday?
Saturday
Mustangs35SMU

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:44 am

Reading this tread is an exercise in futility. The reality is that getting a winning team considers many situations.

First, SMU must make moves in the administration to allow for the program to compete. Stallion, and JR note this fact. I know it is important. Even the stanfords, dukes, northwesterns, etc. alow for this.

Second, coaching matters. A guy who knows the game and can motivate the kids will get a winning team. From a usc to miami of ohio, this is the fact.

Third, the alumni, and STUDENTS, need to suppot the team. Without the support, no kid wants to go where they will be forgotten.

My closest case in point is usc. Great tradition, and support. But, it wasn't until they get Carroll that they got back on track. The return of Robinson didn't work. (and he won't work for unlv.) Tolliver sucked. usc had it all to offer, but until they put ALL the pieces together, they were never going to get in on. For you back in Texas, just look to austin. Same situation. If they ever rid themseves of brown, and hire a real coach, look out.

So let us work togehter. Get all of it in line, and we will win. SMU will come back. Some may call me some rose colored glasses wearing fool, but that's what we need to get it done.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby EdWiz » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:34 am

McAndless you are right i did get punked. Johnny Rock got me, eventhough, he rebutted me with an argument that didnt even attack my statement. JR, if you had a hard time picking up my sarcasm which i thought i made pretty obvious. Here is my point. SMU and Tulsa are very, very close athletically. If you dont agree then it is pointless for me to continue because you are far more the "jeter" than i imagined. Yeah they did get a couple of JC's but im sick of people like you thinking that will automatically make you an 8-4 team. Hey everybody, get ready to go to a bowl next year b/c SMU signed a few JC's. So you tell me to pull my head out of my [deleted], i know we had zero wins, but that wasnt b/c of the talent, any decent coach could have at least won a single game. If you still dont see that coaching definitely matters then i place your knowledge of the game right up there with a girl in high school cheering at her first Varsity game.
EdWiz

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:03 am

In case the great Jhonny Rock has not noticed, we have signed three JC players as evidence that another self-imposed limitation of our model has been and will continue to be improved. Let's see, visitation before admission, FIXED, qualification standards, improved, JUCOs, FIXED.

It is time to stop droning on about this and to see what is happening.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Next

Return to Football