PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is this guy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who is this guy

Postby SMUHouston » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:38 am

Enough about the very questionable recruit in Romo, what about the receiver from JC who only caught 5 passes??? Do we really need to waste a scholarship on someone like that? We must be in more trouble than we thought.
SMUHouston
Recruit

Re: Who is this guy

Postby Corso » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:39 am

Not so fast, my friend!

You're talking about Bobby Chase (6-4, 210, 4.5), and he's a very good prospect. He didn't have a big year statistically at Blinn, but that's in part because he was in his first season in a new offense, and in large part because he missed some significant time with an ankle injury. He was recruited last year after his senior season at Irving High School, where he was the team's top target in a pass-first offense. (I don't know specific stats). I saw him play two games last year, and believe me, he can play. He's got a very big frame and looks like he can add some muscle mass to him, and he's extremely good at using his body to shield the ball from defenders. He also has good speed (4.5). But what makes him really appealing is the fact that he makes the acrobatic catch look easy. If the ball gets near him, he'll catch it -- think Mick Rossley with more height and speed. He'll run through some tackles every now and then, and he's a vicious downfield blocker.

I can see how his stats at Blinn might concern you. But while nobody can accurately predict a player's future, Bobby Chase is as promising a WR prospect as we've had in quite some time.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:48 am

Yeah, man, he got hurt in JCland...he was a top WR in HS
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Stampede » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:04 am

SMUHouston...Romo is a "baller" and I know for a fact the coaches were quite impressed with Romo on film. Actually overheard a coaches talking and one thought Romo might be equeal to King (and this conversation took place BEFORE either had visited) Romo's team did not pass very much and as Jerry Jones said about Troy Aikman...."he sure looks good in the shower"....meaning he passes the eye test.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:30 am

GRGB: "he was a Top WR in High School" -they ALL were in HIGH SCHOOL. Doesn't have anything to do with whether he is a good or even average recruit. Bobby Chase wasn't recruited by ANYONE else as from as I can see out high school or junior college. You want to point me in the direction of a source that says otherwise. He's a SLEEPER pure and simple-just admit it and don't mislead people otherwise. Luckily sleepers sometimes pan out.

<small>[ 12-19-2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:59 am

Stallion vs. GRGB. Too funny.

Also, let's not forget the one huge thing that Bobby Chase also has. An extremely highly recruited brother.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby The Brown Hornet » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:14 am

Originally posted by Stampede:
SMUHouston...Romo is a "baller" and I know for a fact the coaches were quite impressed with Romo on film. Actually overheard a coaches talking and one thought Romo might be equeal to King (and this conversation took place BEFORE either had visited) Romo's team did not pass very much and as Jerry Jones said about Troy Aikman...."he sure looks good in the shower"....meaning he passes the eye test.
Not it, for the job of looking at guys in the shower. No sir, no way. I'll let some of you other "recruiting gurus" handle the shower duty.
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby Invader133 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:25 am

doesn't the Brown Hornet have x-ray powers anyway?? The tip-off is a slight burning sensation in the target area .. that'sw when you know he's meat gazing...
Invader133
Recruit

Postby The Brown Hornet » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:47 am

How you would like to mow my lawn? MMMMMM? MMMMMM?
Once you go brown, you can't turn it down!
The Brown Hornet
Recruit

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:26 pm

That's why you shouldn't take the recruiting services as absolute gospel. Bobby Chase got only 2 stars from Rivals I believe. But I've seen his highlight reel, and one of the Irving coaches (and it wasn't Jim Bennett) said he was the most dangerous offensive player their district. Chase has great size (legit 6'4, 195 lbs.), speed (4.5) and excellent hands. Will he be the best receiver on the team from day one? That I can't answer. But do we have another receiver on the team with anywhere near those physical attributes? Nope.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:34 pm

well if he is the best WR on our team that ain't a good sign since he couldn't break the starting lineup at Blinn JC-but to be fair the kids ahead of him are outstanding recruits who will both get Division 1A offers either this year or next.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:34 pm

well if he is the best WR on our team that ain't a good sign since he couldn't break the starting lineup at Blinn JC-but to be fair one of the kids ahead of him is Rashard Turner who we recruited last year and was a Texas Top 100 and will be one of the most hotly recruited JC players in the nation next year. Blinn had seveal other top receivers who caught at least 30 passes as well.

<small>[ 12-19-2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>

Stallion

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:56 am

Well I suppose Blinn could be loaded with top WRs... or it could be that Bobby Chase was having trouble limping those post routes on a bum ankle. :hmm:
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTales » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:56 pm

I've seen Bobby play (when he was at Irving High). He has similar size and speed to Jay Taylor. In my humble opinion, Bobby's better. Could be a lot better. (Of course, I'd love to see Taylor healthy next year and have a year that leaves this as a hotly-contested debate as we plant two 6-4 WRs on the all-WAC team.... ah, the holiday egg nog has been good to me.)
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:57 pm

before we nominate Jay Taylor for All-WAC I'd like to see him catch two balls in one game first.

Stallion

Return to Football