PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

8 QB's on the team???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

8 QB's on the team???

Postby PonySnob » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:20 pm

The article about the three JUCO players signed mentioned that SMU has 8 QB's on its depth chart. Are all 8 on scholarship? Wouldn't it be better to have maybe only 4 or 5 QB's on the team and try and get more depth at other positions?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 8 QB's on the team???

Postby Original Frank » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:20 pm

Stick it, troll.
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Postby Mike Damone » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:26 pm

I don't know how anybody can [deleted] about too many QB's after the issues we've had at that position the last few years. Also, you have to realize that its not Bennett's fault that Nixon and Tate are schoralship QB's.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:16 am

Agreed

All of us have been complaining that we havent had a QB and that when we got one we would start winning...

Well Folks We got 8 now! And now we're still complaining? um...WTF is up with that!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Jim Rome » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:12 am

Every good team has at least 4 -- usually 5 -- good QBs on scholarship. That's the way we need to go.

(By the way, Mustang35, you might want to change your "signature" -- the word is "entrusted," not "untrusted." Just trying to help.)
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:30 am

Well, here they are:

1) JR: Tate Wallis QB 6-3 237 SO-1L Ennis, Texas (Ennis)
2) SR: (0 letters) Ashton Nixon QB 6-2 210 SO-0L Houston, Texas (Bellaire)
3) TRUE SOPH: Chris Phillips QB 6-3 220 FR-HS Seagoville, Texas (Dallas Bishop Lynch)
4) RS Fresh: Ricky Joe Meeks QB 6-3 215 FR-HS Mount Vernon, Texas (Mount Vernon)

?? Walk on Soph: - 9 Duke Hasson QB 6-4 190 FR-RS Austin, Texas (Westlake)
Invited Walk on RS Fresh: - 8 Ryan Rowland QB 6-3 200 FR-HS Midland, Texas (Midland)

5) TJC Signed TONY ECKERT
6) AJC Signed Jerad ROMO
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:42 am

add Chuck Zars to your walk-on list and there are now 9 QBs listed on the roster. I've always thought that 5-6 scholarship QBs is the right number. Look for someone to leave or change position this spring.
Charleston Pony

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:13 am

He was a SR this year, so I deleted him from next year's potential, though I don't know that for sure.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:20 am

Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
He was a SR this year, so I deleted him from next year's potential, though I don't know that for sure.
And that would be 6 Scholarship QBs and 2 walk-ons... Tate will probably, just a guess now, move back to TE. I just don't see how he could be higher than 4th on the depth chart going into Spring.

Duke Hasson was 3rd after Bartel left, over Nixton, and you can add Rowland and Meeks into the mix this year (after redshirting last year). The coaches were pretty happy with Rowland as a walkon last year...

Phillips/Romo/Eckert (not in that order) then who? Tate/Hassen//Meeks/Rowland? I'd say Tate moves unless he becomes the scout team QB (an important position to prepare the defense) - unless he is the 3rd best QB and Chris reshirts through this JUCO QB-controlled year or two.

I think they'd have to see some REAL improvement potential at the QB position by BOTH juco's to redshirt Phillips this year.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:14 pm

Could it be premature to shift Wallis back to TE on this board? If nothing else, he is one of the most competitive guys I've ever met, and I wouldn't expect him to give up without a fight. You never know what you've got with the JUCO guys until they get here and start proving their abilities within the new SMU system, so if for some reason one or both don't pan out, or if there's an injury, Wallis might be needed at QB. I'm not saying he couldn't play another position -- I think enough of his athletic ability and football smarts that I could see him doing the job at TE, LB, SS or perhaps as a fantastic FB -- just that I haven't heard from anyone within the program that he's moving. Should be interesting to watch.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football